How to glue back in chunk of wood that popped off in transit? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

View tugboat's Photo Album My Photos
How to glue back in chunk of wood that popped off in transit?

Hi everyone! Newbie here. I've just started building a sofa back table and coffee table. The coffee table will be made from book matched walnut that I'm going to join, but we had an incident during shipping with the slab for the sofa back table. A chunk of it came out in transit (see the crappy pic below). How should I re-attach this? Glue it, clamp it, and use a couple of bow tie joints to reinforce it? Let me know if you need more detailed pictures.

I've built an electric guitar from scratch (should get to wet sanding the lacquer this weekend!) but that's my only woodworking experience. Speaking of which....

Speaking of bow tie joints, I need to reinforce a few cracks with some in the coffee table. Should I used quartered hardwood for the bow ties or will flat sawn work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I would just glue and clamp.You would not want the bowtie showing up in the finished piece if it wasn't necessary.
It also looks like the board in the pic has a live edge so these boards are going to be machined.Do you have enough length to just cut that end off.

Last edited by mako1; 09-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 03:11 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would return it to sender. If it was broken in transit it is the senders responsibility.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 PM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
If you repair

I would consider sending it back but, if you decide to keep it and do a repair then consider a lose tenon and GFlex Epoxy from West Systems.

I have a Festool Domino Joiner (DF700) that would make that job easy with a slip tenon about three inches long to register it in plane then use the GFlex which has some give to it for a tight joint that allows some flex if needed (not a brittle joint).

I would use plane sawn wood for your bow tie repairs.

Jack

Last edited by jacko9; 09-19-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode