How drill straight dowel holes? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

View Bluefilosoff's Photo Album My Photos
How drill straight dowel holes?

I am trying to drill one inch diameter holes into the ends of the vertical pieces for a trestle leg assembly but I am having a very difficult time getting the holes straight 90 degrees? I am using a benchtop drill press which I twisted around to get clearance but it is clearly not up to the task. The Forstner bit is having a difficult time drilling into the end grain and keeps going askew so I can't get the holes straight.
Is there a self centering jig available for drilling large dowel holes like this?
Alternatively is there someone on this wonderful site who has already designed something like this at home? I have a feeling there is.
Please and thanks.
See the diagrams.

Name:  image-2303126234.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  60.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 02:22 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not understand why a SHARP forstner bit would not do the job. That is what I would use.

You sure it is the bit that is the problem and not the drill press?

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
fire65 (04-19-2015)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 02:57 PM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Are you clamping the boards in place?

Also I see you have a through mortise an tenon on your sketch, if your ability allows you to do that, have you considered doing mortise and tenon joints instead of dowels? Or maybe bridal joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Just a newbie here but I think the 90 is tough because there are so many spots in your drill setup that can go askew that it's tough to get a good 90 reference on all of them (the drill press table and floor and the block/piece of wood and floor). For drilling into long pieces I've seen people put the drill press on its side and tilt the table 90 degrees. Then you only have to get a parallel reference between table and bit which might be easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to was2ndlast For This Useful Post:
Bluefilosoff (04-19-2015)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 PM

View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
They covered it. Drill press set up properly, fence set up, clamp the board and a good bit, preferably a forster.
The Following User Says Thank You to fire65 For This Useful Post:
Bluefilosoff (04-19-2015)
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

View Bluefilosoff's Photo Album My Photos
Got it figured out. I had not clamped the work piece to the drill table to integrate the whole process so was basically pushing with no backing. Doh! Hey I am learning but very slowly. The mortise will be a tusk with a counterbore key to join the stretcher to the verticals. I did consider mortise and tenon for the Trestle pieces however this is a first effort and I am working with a limited amount of material which has been salvaged so did not feel confident enough to try those types of joints yet. Next table will get the full M and T treatment. Thanks all.

Additionally, I kind of was trying to do ersatz Dominos. Would that be strong enough? Now I am having second thoughts, and on and on, it never ends. Ha ha.

Last edited by Bluefilosoff; 04-19-2015 at 09:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefilosoff For This Useful Post:
fire65 (04-19-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode