How do I make this angled joint? (sketch inside) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Woodknack
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 2 Post By J_L
  • 1 Post By Woodknack
  • 1 Post By 35015

post #1 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

View ivan.lt's Photo Album My Photos
Question How do I make this angled joint? (sketch inside)

Hi! I'm trying to figure out how to join two planks together at an angle. Basically it's a piece of a jig. It's somewhat hard to describe the end result so I've drawn a sketch. The joined part will bear stress from a moderate load, let's say about 5-7 lbs of weight. So what kind of joint should it be? I guess either a butt joint of some sort or a finger joint. Thanks for help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180323_235617612.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	350530  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 06:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
No more weight than that if you just doweled the joint it should work fine. More than likely the chairs in your house are joined together with dowels and they hold well.
35015 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
post #3 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 PM
nonmember

View Woodknack's Photo Album My Photos
It's a scarf joint, same as used on a guitar neck. 7 lbs should be no problem.
35015 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodknack For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
don't use a butt joint

Gluing end grain to end grain is the weakest application for glue. Long grain to long grain is the strongest. You finger joint would have more long grain surface area, and therefore be the strongest. Granted they are a pain to make, but even 4 fingers in corresponding slot would be quite strong.

Murphy's Law says... If it can break (from an overload) it will break. Plan ahead to prevent joint failure. No one likes a joint that fails.
35015 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
post #5 of 15 Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
In making a jig like shown, it would be best to make it out of plywood and cut the knotch or angle from the whole piece. This would be stronger and much faster than trying to piece together solid wood.
GeorgeC likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
post #6 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 05:33 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
A butt joint will fail in this application. From the sketches you've got drawn out, the finger joint would be my top pick. I would also consider dowels as Steve mentioned or mortise and tenon.
woodnthings and 35015 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to J_L For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
post #7 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM
nonmember

A scarf joint will not fail.
35015 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
look at this diagram and the load directions

It's not as simple as you might think because the loads are lateral vs vertical, putting the joint in a shear condition. I have enough guitars to know how strong the neck joints are, but they also use a tension rod to reduce the forces on the joint.

To me, it's still about grain direction and long grain is strongest. Admittedly, 7 lbs isn't much load so it may just be a trial and error, then test to see what does work. Mathias Wandel has tested many types of glue joints:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-24-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
Hi! I'm trying to figure out how to join two planks together at an angle. Basically it's a piece of a jig. It's somewhat hard to describe the end result so I've drawn a sketch. The joined part will bear stress from a moderate load, let's say about 5-7 lbs of weight. So what kind of joint should it be? I guess either a butt joint of some sort or a finger joint. Thanks for help!
IMO...Solid wood is most defiantly the way to go.

I would stay away from plywood for this joint union. The cross graining of ply is too weak for "scarf joints" which this would be...since a "butt joint" is the most simplistic "scarf joint" form. If you go with something thicker than 1", like even 1.5" it would become much stronger, as you will have more "meat" to work with giving you a much stronger joint.

There are a number of scarf joints that would work here well. The "Finger splice" (already offered) would render a very strong joint, yet can be a bit of a challenge to cut in such a 150 angle configuration. Some of the simpler "Splayed Scarf" joint would also work as well, and a "Pegged Scarf" with doweling (~3/8" dowel?) may well be more than you need if well glued to meet your 7 lb strength range of load capacity.

This is a really easy scarf to cut actually, and I have used it in everything from "thread grafting" in Penzai, to "down and dirty" fast splicing for just such applications as yours.

First, just create the geometry you want. Glue it up well and let set overnight!! Then simply drill by eye so that you get into the foundation piece at least 2" in. The angle of this drilled hole is not critical...straight "by eye" is level enough. Then simply glue and drive in your dowel/trunnel let set again overnight and trim off the dowel.

Good Luck,

j

P.S. The next simplest is a "scissor" or "strokes bill" scarf...If the dowel method is not appealing...We use these all the time as well for full structural unions in rafters and major beams...

Last edited by 35015; 03-24-2018 at 06:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 35015 For This Useful Post:
ivan.lt (03-25-2018)
post #10 of 15 Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 PM
nonmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It's not as simple as you might think because the loads are lateral vs vertical, putting the joint in a shear condition. I have enough guitars to know how strong the neck joints are, but they also use a tension rod to reduce the forces on the joint.

To me, it's still about grain direction and long grain is strongest. Admittedly, 7 lbs isn't much load so it may just be a trial and error, then test to see what does work. Mathias Wandel has tested many types of glue joints:

Can you squeeze all the glue out of a joint? - YouTube
If I post an answer it's based on experience, not on a blog or watching in a video. Wandel makes money posting videos and glue joint videos get tons of views but don't mistake that as experience. A scarf joint will be fine for a 5 to 7 lb load.

Also, tension rods help prevent and correct any bowing from string tension. They are unnecessary for scarf joints.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-25-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

View ivan.lt's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, thanks for such a discussion! I really appreciate all the advice. I'm not sure how to employ the "scissors scarf joint" here (isn't it for straight joins?) so I'll go with the simple scarf. Thanks again.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
Wow, thanks for such a discussion! I really appreciate all the advice. I'm not sure how to employ the "scissors scarf joint" here (isn't it for straight joins?) so I'll go with the simple scarf. Thanks again.
Hi Ivan,

I think with a good glue joint just the simple lap could fulfill your very small load requirements. If not, add the dowels and the strength will go up considerably...plus...there easy to do. If you do want to explore the "scissor scarf" I think you could pull it off. Its not much different than the "finger splice" suggested...just less complicated to layout and cut...

Good Luck,

j
Woodknack likes this.

Last edited by 35015; 03-25-2018 at 08:02 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
In making a jig like shown, it would be best to make it out of plywood and cut the knotch or angle from the whole piece. This would be stronger and much faster than trying to piece together solid wood.
Agree.

George
post #14 of 15 Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Agree.

George
Hello George,

I agree that this could be made of plywood...and...with the low loads it may even endure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
...it would be best to make it out of plywood...This would be stronger and much faster than trying to piece together solid wood.
I respectfully disagree...Plywood would not be best, or easier, nor is it every going to be stronger in this application...

That's not an opinion...that's empirical fact, and engineering tested reality for virtually any wood execution of this type.

Plywood is a convenience to manufacturing and facilitation as a sheet good material.

Plywood does not meet most of the structural load parameters of solid wood, natural or engineer timber alike...when employed beyond "sheet good" or "diaphragm" applications in loading...

j

Last edited by 35015; 03-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-26-2018, 05:49 PM
nonmember

Solid wood is much stronger than plywood. Think of how a tree grows and the forces it resists: roughly half the plies in plywood are going the opposite direction; which makes it dimensionally stable but weaker than solid wood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode