How to attach these legs??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

View fcmcommw's Photo Album My Photos
How to attach these legs???

Gents,

I was hoping one of you could be so kind as to help with a problem. I'm building this book case for the office and want to figure out how to attach these legs to the case. Are the legs pocket holed together and then glued on with biscuits, etc. or whats the best method to attach these legs to this case without getting into a ton of work or special joinery.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookcase.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	34802  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmcommw View Post
Gents,

I was hoping one of you could be so kind as to help with a problem. I'm building this book case for the office and want to figure out how to attach these legs to the case. Are the legs pocket holed together and then glued on with biscuits, etc. or whats the best method to attach these legs to this case without getting into a ton of work or special joinery.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Maybe it was too stupid of a question. If so, my bad. Usually I see the sides of these pieces have a rail across the top and bottom that uses a mortise and tenon to connect to the legs. Not so in this example. Since the weight of this think is going to be resting on these legs I did not think biscuits would be enough alone. and I dont like seeing poket holes from the inside of the cabinet if I could help it.

thanks anyway....
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
If it's not M & T, then how are they connected. That would be the strongest joint, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is wrong with just plain old glue?

Maybe I do not understand your question. From the picture and the way you have worded the question I have the impression that these legs are the last things added to the bookcase carcass. If that is so then just glue them on and enjoy the rest of your day.

George
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to tell from the picture whether the "legs" are straight, or are an "L". But in either case they appear to be an integral part of the construction. The floor and ends of the cabinet are likely set into a dado, and the top could be framed and attached to the end panels. No biscuits or pocket screws.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
It's hard to tell from the picture whether the "legs" are straight, or are an "L". But in either case they appear to be an integral part of the construction. The floor and ends of the cabinet are likely set into a dado, and the top could be framed and attached to the end panels. No biscuits or pocket screws.

Cabinetman,

The legs are an L shaped. This is not the best piece as far as construction goes I admit. The sides appear to be 3/4" and it looks like the legs are attached afterwards to the cabinet carcass. The insides of the cabinet sides have holes drilled for shelf pins so the reason for the 3/4" sides. I could just glue and clamp these on as one reviewer suggested but i'm concerned with long term strength.

Here is something I came up with. Not sure if its good or bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table legs.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	34817  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode