Hole Saw Job? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

View FredAt's Photo Album My Photos
Hole Saw Job?

I am in the process of building a cupboard into a largish alcove (120cm x 60cm). There are two major issues here
  1. I need to ensure that the interior of the cupboard is well, and uniformly, lit
  2. Given the size of the shelves (which I have made as two half shelves: 60cm x 60cm) I want to ensure that they have an additional central, load bearing, support - not just the sides

I am planning to accomplish both of the above in one step by using a 40mm diameter acrylic light guide that will be lit by LEDs from either end (total length 2m).

In order to fit the shelves around the light guide I need to make a hole that sits bang in the middle of the intersection of each set of "half shelves". I have been thinking of doing this as follows
  1. Clamp the two half shelves together
  2. Sandwich the location of the hole between two sheets of hardboard
  3. Drill

However, this will be first time ever that I will be using a hole saw so I am not at all sure that the scheme I have outlined is workable. I hope that someone here will be able to either confirm - or else suggest a more reliable route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I'd rather use a Forstner bit over a hole saw wherever possible, but other than that I don't see a problem right off.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

So, are you saying that you need a hole in the front edge of a shelf that's actually a half of a hole? If that's the case, will half of the fixture stick out from the front of the shelf?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

No, I guess my explanation was rather vague. The hole would be more-or-less at the center of the split shelf which measures 120 x 60cm (two halves 60cm x 60cm). The hole would be 30cm from the front/back right in the middle at the intersection of the two half shelves. The end result - the light guide would be illuminating the middle of the cupboard and supporting each of the shelves from underneath, so the entire weight of the loaded shelf is not being taken by the side supports.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredAt View Post
No, I guess my explanation was rather vague. The hole would be more-or-less at the center of the split shelf which measures 120 x 60cm (two halves 60cm x 60cm). The hole would be 30cm from the front/back right in the middle at the intersection of the two half shelves. The end result - the light guide would be illuminating the middle of the cupboard and supporting each of the shelves from underneath, so the entire weight of the loaded shelf is not being taken by the side supports.
That would work.

post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode