Help please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

View Sbrooks's Photo Album My Photos
Help please

I'm building a hope chest for my daughter I have some ash and I want to trim it with something. I have some cherry and walnut. What are your thoughts.any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
While either one would look good, I think the cherry is subtle enough to really make the ash stand out! Now, if it were a chest for a son, I'd go with the walnut!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #3 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
No Longer Here

View 27207's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac
While either one would look good, I think the cherry is subtle enough to really make the ash stand out! Now, if it were a chest for a son, I'd go with the walnut!
I agree, the cherry will be more elegant and walnut more bold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillems26 View Post
I agree, the cherry will be more elegant and walnut more bold
Totaly agree here and eather way is beautifil here is an Example of Birdeye Maple amd Austrialian Lace wood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-03 12.04.23-1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	36822  

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #5 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

View Sbrooks's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks all . I let the kid decide she went walnut..
I have a problem the top is out of square. It not glue yet is there a trick to square it up. Just my second project so still have a lot to learn
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Measure the diagonals, put a clamp corner-corner on the longer diagonal and apply just a bit of pressure - keep measuring diagonals until they are even.
But if you have tight joints when it's clamped out of square, you probably won't have tight joints once you square it that way - like if you miscut some things along the way. In that case, your best bet may be to glue it up as square as you can with tight joints, and then square it up on the tablesaw. (and then adjust your plans for a slightly smaller piece.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 01:44 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
Every one of your clamps must be placed parallel to the edges of your panel. If even one clamp is slightly diagonal, it will "rack" the panel and make it out of square. By intentionally putting a clamp at a diagonal, you can "rack" the panel in the direction you want it to go. It doesn't take much. You want to pull the 2 longest diagonal corners toward each other so slant the clamp that way. That answers the question if it is a clamping problem. If you cut something out of square, you will have to chase down the source of that problem, check all your machines for accuracy.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrooks View Post
Thanks all . I let the kid decide she went walnut..
I have a problem the top is out of square. It not glue yet is there a trick to square it up. Just my second project so still have a lot to learn
Maybe you have one of the sides a different length than it's opposite? There are "L" shaped clamping blocks that you can buy or make, that will insure things get clamped up square.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would get the panel square before putting on the trim. How much out of square is it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode