Help needed with this joint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

View Kylel91's Photo Album My Photos
Help needed with this joint

Hey everyone! I am relatively knew to wood working and I need some advice. I made the shelf pictures for my wife for Mother's Day a few months back. Since then I have made a few more for family and friends.

I am having some issues with the strength of the joints holing the shelves together. The joint is composed of 2 boards cut at 30 degree angles. This forms essentially on point of an equilateral triangle. Then the boards are glued together with wood glue. I Have had a few of these split apart while shipping to family and friends.

does anyone have any suggestions on who I can join this more securely?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
End grain joints don't hold real great with wood glue. You would have better luck with epoxy. Still it wouldn't hurt to put a few nails in it when you are putting it together. Then you could put some spring clamps on the joint which would pull it up tighter.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a good candidate for a splined miter. You could also add a back.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
As you have experienced, glue wont hold those, you need something mechanical(screws/nails) to help hold it.

In addition when I glue end grain I do a two step process as end grain tends to wick up the glue, so I brush glue on, and let it set for a few minutes to wick, then add more and glue up.

ETA you should also work on cleaning the glue off, so the stain takes better and doesn't leave that light area at the joints.

Last edited by shoot summ; 08-09-2016 at 11:54 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree about the wood glue clean up! This was the first one I built, since I have started cleaning that up before stain.

I think the spline miter might be the way to go. I don't want to use nails or screws as I don't want them to be visible.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylel91 View Post
I totally agree about the wood glue clean up! This was the first one I built, since I have started cleaning that up before stain.

I think the spline miter might be the way to go. I don't want to use nails or screws as I don't want them to be visible.
Worth a try, but I don't think it will fix it.

Small finishing nails shot into the joint at opposing angles, wood filler, you won't see them with that dark stain.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

It looks like I need a finish nailer and an air compressor... I've been meaning to pick them up anyway.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
This is a good project to use an 18 gauge trim nailer on. A combination of glue and 4 small 1" Brad nails at each joint will make your assembly go together quick and hold fast.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 PM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Splines would absolutely hold those joints together. Better than finishing nails would, I'd bet. A spline or two would give you quite a lot of long grain gluing surface. Make the slots for the splines with a router, table saw and jig (that'd be tricky with the crazy angles you have going), or a hand saw and maybe a chisel. I'll admit that nails would be easier, but splines would probably be stronger, and would look nicer too. Exposed splines can add a neat little detail to mitered corners.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremymcon For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (08-10-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode