help with interior doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View mikefish34's Photo Album My Photos
help with interior doors

need help with making interior doors. what materials would be best and what design to use. also what bit sets to use. Thanks in advance, Mike P.S never made doors before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Need more info on the door style, wood and size.

Learning more about tools everyday
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
pick a design

From here: http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...en+door+design

Then you can plan a method of building based on your capability and tools. Router bit set: http://ptreeusa.com/freud_entry_door_set.htm

Material choices are hardwoods prefferably like Mahogany (pricey), Oak, Cherry others based on price and availability.
Softwood like Pine are more difficult to finish and unless your room theme is Pine will not "fit in".JMO bill

BTW this is NOT a one paragraph answer. Whole threads have been used: Building oak front door

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-21-2012 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (01-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
More info would be nice. Stained or painted? Interior doors are normally 1-3/8" thick. Here is a Freud bit set you can adjust for door thickness. Different profiles should be available depending on style.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-208-two-...r-bit-set.aspx

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 AM
where's my table saw?

Here's some threads

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/qu...g-doors-14447/

This one is a fully detailed explanation of building an exterior oak door and a router table needed to make it by steveg:
Building oak front door
This one compares shapers vs routers:
Router Table vs Shaper or BOTH?
and this:
Router table vs Shaper
The bottom line is this, you can build exterior and interior doors with a 3 1/4 HP router in a table. A small shaper, 3HP will do the same with specific cutters to fit the arbor of the shaper, usually 1" or larger bore.
The cutters on either will be at least 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" dia but do not interchange, since the shaper cutters have a bore, the router cutters have a shaft to fit into the 1/2" collet. You can get an optional 1/2" collet to fit the shaper.
For limited or full production get the shaper,it's quiet and powerful. For versatility and occasional use, even though it's noisy, I'd use the router and table. bill

Check the links within this thread.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

i have a porter cable 3518 router mounted in a bench dog lift in custom table. also a woodmaster 718, grizzly 8" jointer and all necessary tools needed. The doors are going to be painted as with all trim. These doors are going to be special size as they are storage closet doors upstairs where i am building a full size game room with wet bar. they are only going to be 3' wide by 58" tall. the storage spaces are not fully enclosed to the attick and would like some insulating properties. i have rough framed the openings with normal 2x4
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
where's my table saw?

traditional construction?

For your application I would suggest Poplar since it paints well and machines well.

Now your choice is mortise and tenon or rail and style.
Mortises can be difficult without a dedicated mortising machine.
A router can be used but will not make through mortises in 3" wide stock easily.
Half laps can be used with good results when pinned.
A variation could be a plywood panel set in a dado all around then rails added on either side to give the appearance of a raised panel trimmed with moldings.
Another variation would be a barn door look with edge glued boards and a set in diagonal for bracing.
So, what "style" do you intend to make based on the look?
Raised panels? Flat panels? added molding inside for more decoration? Arts and Crafts or Mission style? bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

i was hoping to do rail and stile with deep pocket mortise and tennon, but do not have a dedicated mortising machine. May have to go the easy route but like a challenge and would like to master this type of joinery. what do you recommend for a mortising machine. thanks for the help
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
where's my table saw?

I have this one

You're welcome!
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm701rvu.html

post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

does the mortises get put in after the rails and stiles get profiled on the router table or before?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
where's my table saw?

depends

It's easier to pare down a tenon that's a bit topo large than enlarge a mortise that's too small...generally.
The latest issue of American woodworker has an article on making a drill press table that can be used for drilling multiple hole for mortises. You still have to pare out the sides with a chisel.
There are many people who use a mortising attachment on a drill press with good results. The drill press rack is not designed to exert a lot of down pressure as is the deictaed mortiising machine which han a much more robust rack and a lever that's usually about 2X as long for greater leverage..
Mostises need not go through the stile so a router with a jig like a Mortise Pal could be used. A table mounted router could also be used by taking incrementally greater cuts and plunging the work down on the bit.... a little awkward and possibly scary...
You Tube has a few videos on those type of jigs. bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode