help! I need to graft a table to a kitche cabinet, how do I do that? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

View Maria's Photo Album My Photos
help! I need to graft a table to a kitche cabinet, how do I do that?

The table is normal height (29 inches) and 36 inches wide (the side i want to graft) and the cabinet side is about 33 inches tall and 50 inches wide. I was planing to cover the cabinet sides with mdf paneling and install also a normal counter top. I am planning on cutting the end of the table so it will only have two legs. My question is how do I attach the sawed off table to the cabinet side in a safe and sturdy way so it can hold the normal weight a table holds?. This is a normal 3 by 5 kitchen table that I stained and want to attach to the side of the cabinet to make an island.
Thanks a lot
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 PM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
maria - it sounds like youre making a penninsula not an island if im picturing this the right way. you need a cleat to attach under the table where it meets the cabinet. post a pic so we have a better understanding

build it right or not at all
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok is really a peninsula. Here are some pics. I am planning to just attach a 2 by 4 around the base of the cabinets after joining them back to back. One side of the cabinets will be against the wall and the other attached to the table.

Actually I looked up cleats and seems a good idea. Just one thing, I am guessing that the sides of the cabinet are not thick enough to be able to hold the weight. Do I need to add a thicker piece of plywood? Or is better to have a couple of 2 by 3's on each end? Thank you Bob
Maria

Last edited by Maria; 03-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
If you are concerned about the cabinet side not being strong enough, use 3/4" MDF plywood instead of paneling. You would have to put an edging on the plywood, but it would beef up that side. It would also give more for the cleat to attach to. Another way, it you don't like the plywood idea, is to install a cleat inside the cabinet in line with the one outside and screw the two of them together. This will reinforce everything and should do the trick. Use wood glue along with screws. Have a damp rag handy to wipe off ooze out.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
glue a 3/4 inch piece of plywood inside the cabinet so that it rests on the deck of the cabinet and that way theres no weight on the side of the cabinet. . drill pilot holes where you plan on putting the cleat. then screw the cleat into the pilot holes.

build it right or not at all
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Bob and MN, I will start working on the project this weekend. It does not sound too dificult. Have a good weekend
Maria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode