Help with hexagon shaped aquarium stand - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

View Dean Jones's Photo Album My Photos
Help with hexagon shaped aquarium stand

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the site but leading a bunch and I've done a lot of basic work with wood in the past.
I'm currently building a tank stand for my new aquarium which would have been pretty easy except this aquarium is shaped like half a hexagon so it has some weird angles or ones I'm not use to dealing with anyway (30degree and 15degree)
I was just wanting to see everyone's thoughts and ideas on this project. My plan for now is to use dowels for those angles, mainly because I dont have many tools or the budget to add any big power tools, I do have a circular saw and a chop saw but not much else, just found info on how to make a cheap and quick dowel center I'm going to do tonight.
The first pic below is the design im copying off of but making changes for my needs. Then some pics of the tank and The top and bottom frame ive cut but not joined and a pic of one of the legs. In going To face the entire thing except back in 3/4" birch.
Thanks in advance for any and all of your help.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
soo.... whats your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
My plan for now is to use dowels for those angles, mainly because I dont have many tools or the budget to add any big power tools, I do have a circular saw and a chop saw but not much else, just found info on how to make a cheap and quick dowel center I'm going to do tonight.
What are you going to use the dowels for exactly? Whats your question?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

The key to good aquarium stands is to eliminate the possibility of racking, or also known as 'twisting forces'. Where vertical members exist, to integrate into the structure where the vertical meets horizontals, install gussets. They are simply supports (can be triangulated) to make the joint rigid and keep it from moving. You can see from this image how a gusset stops joint movement.

Since you will be adding 3/4" ply to the exterior of the framework, vertical miters to joint the plywood at the angle joints can be done with a handheld circular saw, and a straightedge. To further strengthen the overall cabinet, once the plywood is fixed to both the vertical and horizontal members, that too will add to the cabinet resisting racking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie

What are you going to use the dowels for exactly? Whats your question?
Going to use the dowels on the front corners of frame piece in picture
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman

The key to good aquarium stands is to eliminate the possibility of racking, or also known as 'twisting forces'. Where vertical members exist, to integrate into the structure where the vertical meets horizontals, install gussets. They are simply supports (can be triangulated) to make the joint rigid and keep it from moving. You can see from this image how a gusset stops joint movement.

Since you will be adding 3/4" ply to the exterior of the framework, vertical miters to joint the plywood at the angle joints can be done with a handheld circular saw, and a straightedge. To further strengthen the overall cabinet, once the plywood is fixed to both the vertical and horizontal members, that too will add to the cabinet resisting racking.

I plan on adding 2 or 3 2x4's across and roping with the plywood to eliminate any racking issues, the 2 frame prices in pic will the. Be connected by running the 36" "legs" between them. I wasnt familiar with "gussets" but love the idea of placing those behind the angled joints to help support the dowels and ensure no movement.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 AM

View kmiller's Photo Album My Photos
After the basic frame is built, additional 2x4s are added to give a surface to nail the sheeting to. These additional 2x4s are used on each of the vertical supports to give the stand frame a flat surface. Attach these 2x4s with the 2" wood screws and wood glue. These 2x4s should be cut to fit snugly between the upper and lower rectangles of the aquarium stand. The photo below shows some of the modifications I had to make to ensure the doors fit the stand properly and that they had a sound location on which to attach the hinges.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM

View AuntieM's Photo Album My Photos
Tank!!! Help!!

Exactly What Kind Of tank Is That? I've Had Mine For 2 Years Now And Cannot Seem To Find Out. Also Any Ideas Where To Find A Lid For It?

THANKS!!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2016, 12:50 PM

View emmbec's Photo Album My Photos
I was just looking for tips on how to make my own. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode