Help attaching table apron and legs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Help attaching table apron and legs

Ok guys I got a message from hays0369 asking for help and I figured you guys may have better memory of links to help him. I also figured some of you might explain it better as well as give a few different option. I'm no expert so I figured the best way to help was to give it to you guys. His question is below.

I have recently come into a good amount of highly figured African Mahogany. I want to build a entry table for my home as well as a end table that will go inbetween two sitting chairs. I have looked around on this sight to try and figure out how to secure the legs to the top of the table and the apron(?). I can't seem to find it. Do you know of any link on this website that could help me with this. My tools include a table saw, combination router, 10" mitre saw verious hand sanders and a few clamps of various sizes. My wife has also said that since I am building stuff for the house, if there is a tool I need I can buy it! I also have access to a full wood shop with just about everything you cold think of if I need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I've posted this previously...
A simple way to install the top would be to edge glue and clamp the pieces to make up the top. Add cleats to the aprons on all four sides. Those are nothing more than a strip of wood approximately 1" to 1" glued on edge, so the top of the cleat is flush with the top of the apron.
On the ends (long grain), screw the center down from underneath. For the sides, elongate the holes in the cleat, and use a pan head screw with a washer. These can be snug, but not tight.

In essence what you have is that the top can then move cross grain from the center out. The cleats provide the fastening support, and add strength to the apron. No need to go to the trouble of grooving the aprons and buying clips.
Help attaching table apron and legs-57830d1356265721-should-i-add-brackets-my-coffee-table-design-cleat.jpg

post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I've posted this previously...
A simple way to install the top would be to edge glue and clamp the pieces to make up the top. Add cleats to the aprons on all four sides. Those are nothing more than a strip of wood approximately 1" to 1" glued on edge, so the top of the cleat is flush with the top of the apron.
On the ends (long grain), screw the center down from underneath. For the sides, elongate the holes in the cleat, and use a pan head screw with a washer. These can be snug, but not tight.

In essence what you have is that the top can then move cross grain from the center out. The cleats provide the fastening support, and add strength to the apron. No need to go to the trouble of grooving the aprons and buying clips.
Attachment 58239

Thanks for the response CMan but we need one showing the legs to apron now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
table leg bracing thread

pretty cool stuff here richard:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f5/ta...bracing-20431/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM

View hays0369's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for the replies. However, due to me being so green to the art of woodworking I'm afraid I don't know the terminology.
I am reading as I go so I will get there. Thank you again. I will keep everyone posted on my progress and try and remember to take pics as I go.

Semper Fi,
Brad
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 AM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
I cant remember who on here told me and I have absolutely no idea how to make a link but if you go to lee valley and look up table hardware they ave a brace that will attach the apron to the legs and you can also buy a 20 pack of chair braces they work well for attaching the apron to the table its relatively inexpensive I think I got out for around $18 for four leg braces and the 20 pack of chair braces hope this helps
post #7 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM

View jacko9's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Ok guys I got a message from hays0369 asking for help and I figured you guys may have better memory of links to help him. I also figured some of you might explain it better as well as give a few different option. I'm no expert so I figured the best way to help was to give it to you guys. His question is below.

I have recently come into a good amount of highly figured African Mahogany. I want to build a entry table for my home as well as a end table that will go inbetween two sitting chairs. I have looked around on this sight to try and figure out how to secure the legs to the top of the table and the apron(?). I can't seem to find it. Do you know of any link on this website that could help me with this. My tools include a table saw, combination router, 10" mitre saw verious hand sanders and a few clamps of various sizes. My wife has also said that since I am building stuff for the house, if there is a tool I need I can buy it! I also have access to a full wood shop with just about everything you cold think of if I need it.
Richard, If you decide to buy a tool for doing joinery I would suggest that you look at the Festool Domino Joiner for quick and accurate mortise and tenon work. For more information of the product go to the Festool Owners Group website and you'll find a lot of videos using this product.

Jack
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Festool Domino? Why would you suggest spending that kind of money for making loose tenon joints? You could get a lot of tools to equip your shop for the price of one domino tool.

I'm a little late to this party.

The photos show table saw and router joinery. The last photo is a simple angle screw block, very simple and strong. Anytime you can create a triangle you will get rigidity and strength.

Bret

Help attaching table apron and legs-pa180516.jpg

Help attaching table apron and legs-pa180517.jpg

Help attaching table apron and legs-pa180521.jpg

Help attaching table apron and legs-pc300284.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Lola Ranch For This Useful Post:
hays0369 (01-02-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode