Help/Advice for woodworking project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

View mmendelowitz's Photo Album My Photos
Help/Advice for woodworking project

Hi,

I am trying to make this for my husband. Here is a picture of the couch sleeve table and a link to an online retailer that makes these (for an insane amount! Cant afford that so trying to make my own)

Here is the link with isntructions, the seller says they use laminate https://www.etsy.com/listing/1020484...rap-solid-wood

My question is this, how do I go about creating this if I am only so-so at woodworking? Should I laminate the sides, use dowels, use a miter saw and glue? Obviously, doesnt need to be that sturdy, just resting a glass on there. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Before anybody can offer any advise on how to make it, we need to know one important thing: what tools do you have at your disposal?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2015, 05:07 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
If you don't have any tools you would be cheaper to pay your $195 and go on. I would build you one for about 1/4 that much plus shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2015, 05:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendelowitz View Post
Hi,

I am trying to make this for my husband. Here is a picture of the couch sleeve table and a link to an online retailer that makes these (for an insane amount! Cant afford that so trying to make my own)

Here is the link with isntructions, the seller says they use laminate https://www.etsy.com/listing/1020484...rap-solid-wood

My question is this, how do I go about creating this if I am only so-so at woodworking? Should I laminate the sides, use dowels, use a miter saw and glue? Obviously, doesnt need to be that sturdy, just resting a glass on there. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Laminate would be more water resistant but would make it more difficult for you in many ways. It takes special tools and training all it's own. You would need to purchase a router and laminate trimmer bits and they have to be set up very exact. Then once the laminate is trimmed the edges need to be filed to finish it out and it's real easy to over file it.

The easiest way you could make that would be to make it out of plywood and veneer tape the edges of the plywood. You can purchase veneer tape at most lumber companies that has hot melt glue on the edge of it. You cut the veneer to a rough length and use a hot iron to apply the veneer. Then you can take a utility knife and trim it to fit and sand the rest. If you don't have the means or ability to miter the corners of the pieces you could just glue and nail it together. Once you get it ready to finish you could use an oil based polyurethane and it should be water resistant for your needs.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like this would be a bit over my head.
@hwebb99 is that a serious offer because I am interested...not sure what the shipping would run me, but if you can recreate this piece exactly like that, in cherry wood. Let's talk!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Where are you located? There might be someone on here who lives near you and who'd be willing to help you make this.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

That would be amazing if I could connect with someone who would be willing to do this. I live in Brooklyn but would be going home to NW Indiana/Chicago area for Xmas. So, would be up for either location (including area a drive away just outside of NYC).
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Laminate would be more water resistant but would make it more difficult for you in many ways. It takes special tools and training all it's own. You would need to purchase a router and laminate trimmer bits and they have to be set up very exact. Then once the laminate is trimmed the edges need to be filed to finish it out and it's real easy to over file it.

snip
Read the speel, they are using the word "laminate" in place of "joint", as it sounds more technical, the entire page is a classic case of selling the sizzle instead of the steak.

It is a great idea, but extremely over-priced, I am sure someone can come up with a reasonable solution for the OP.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode