Half Laps On Router Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

View Crick07's Photo Album My Photos
Half Laps On Router Table

I need to make about 25 half laps in 1-1/2" x 3" inch Douglas Fir using a router table and was wondering what the best approach would be without getting overly complex with fancy jigs and such. I am relatively new on a router table.

I don't want to sound like I am over-thinking it but just want some feedback/help. My plan was to:

1) Set router fence to 3 inches as a stop for the shoulder

2) Use a simple MDF push block riding on the fence to push material
through

3) Start cutting on the end of the work piece with a 3/4" bit (biggest I have) and move work piece towards the fence.

4) For the last cut, make sure work piece is against fence and push block to establish a straight shoulder and repetitive along 25 separate pieces.

This may be the way everybody does it or may not be a good way at all. I'm just looking for simple ideas. Also, I think I prefer to not use a miter gauge strictly due to the fact of having to have the fence absolutely parallel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crick07 View Post
I need to make about 25 half laps in 1-1/2" x 3" inch Douglas Fir using a router table and was wondering what the best approach would be without getting overly complex with fancy jigs and such. I am relatively new on a router table.

I don't want to sound like I am over-thinking it but just want some feedback/help. My plan was to:

through

3) Start cutting on the end of the work piece with a 3/4" bit (biggest I have) and move work piece towards the fence.

4) For the last cut, make sure work piece is against fence and push block to establish a straight shoulder and repetitive along 25 separate pieces.

This may be the way everybody does it or may not be a good way at all. I'm just looking for simple ideas. Also, I think I prefer to not use a miter gauge strictly due to the fact of having to have the fence absolutely parallel.
That sounds like it would work. You might do them in more than one pass though. Probably three passes.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 PM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
That's the way I do it too. However, if I'm using oak I pre-score the shoulders on my TS. Oak likes to bend away from the cutter leaving a frizzy edged shoulder. 80% of the time it sands away....that leaves too much to do over, IMHO!

Typically, I'll nibble at full height about 1/4" - 5/16" each pass since height is critical for half laps. But I do them quickly.

Also, since I took a pic for someone else today, you may find something like this helpful. The block is 7 X 7. Closet rod handle is held by a 3" screw, counter-bored on the bottom. All 4 edges have 1" wide rabbets, from 3/4" to 3/8" deep. Workpiece slips under the ledge and provides more control. Leading edges get a little nipped sometime, but doesn't affect the function. Enough said, here's a pic.

Last edited by bladeburner; 01-25-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crick07 View Post

through

you may add a backer block to minimize tear out on the bit exit.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Bladrunner, your pictures look like you are showing a lock miter bit operation.

George
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

View Crick07's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the tips guys. I got them cut using this method (bought a 1" straight bit). I'll put up pictures of the workbench when its completed.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 AM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Bladrunner, your pictures look like you are showing a lock miter bit operation.

George
Yes, the sample piece happened to have a lock miter edge. But the object is the push block, and that gets used for a lot of router table operations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode