Gluing outdoor projects - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing outdoor projects

I have heard you can use titebond iii on outdoor projects. How long will it hold? Tears? Does it hold longer if it doesn't get wet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 03:58 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I used TBIII for these cedar shed doors that I made this summer. So I can say with certainty, at least 4 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170813_192600725_1510347398739.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	323914  

post #3 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 04:03 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I've also used TBII (2) on these gates that I built in 2011, and they're holding on strong. The only part starting to fail is the end grain at the top of the stiles.

I live in southeastern Wisconsin, so these get wet like 11 months of the year.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 04:26 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
As you state Titebond lll is supposed to be waterproof. But for outdoor projects I recommend galvanized screws or bolts for most projects.
30 years ago I built a large porch type swing that is outside in the weather under an open roofed pagoda. The swing was made out of treated yellow pine and has always been painted. I assembled the slats for the seat and back using a coil nailer with small galvanized nails. Even though the swing has always been painted after about 26 years I decided to completely strip and re-work the old swing and get it ready to last a few more years. What I found was the wood was still sound but the “galvanized” nails were destroyed. Some were literally rusted completely through. It was impossible to pull these old rusty nails because they would just break-off.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 05:07 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Titebond III is some pretty water resistant glue, I had some rags I used to wipe up the excess glue from a glue up, rinsed them out very well I thought and hung them over the edge of the slop sink,the next day they were very stiff, so I threw them in a bucket of water after about 3-4 months they are as stiff as when I tossed them in there, and that was after rinsing them out as good as I used to do with TB I&II

I really like the glue so far
Toolman50 likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 05:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I can't answer your question as to how long as I've never tested it in that manor. It hold up as well as any exterior glue. There is a lot of factors that determine the duty length of the glue. If you have a project that doesn't have a finish on it and it is where it gets both rain and sun then it's not going to last a long time. It comes down to more wood movement than anything. The wood gets rained on and swells up and then the sun comes out and it shrinks. This movement wears hard on any joint. The glue may be waterproof but it has a lot of stress pulling on it. Having a waterproof finish on the wood would help it greatly. It would reduce the amount of swelling it would receive. If the project is finished and the finish is maintained the joint should last decades with the exception of extreme weather conditions.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I use stainless screws for outside work.

http://www.ukstainless.co.uk/products.asp?i=25

johnep
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2017, 09:53 AM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
I think the same rule for end grain gluing whether indoor or door should be the same. If not mortised it should be screwed if at all possible. I like using small stainless trim screws to avoid putty work you just can't hide.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode