Gluing Dovetails - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

View OHNOIMONFIRE's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing Dovetails

Hi All,

I just cut my first dovetails for a horse brush box I am making. I have seen many different opinions on various websites regarding the best way to glue the joints. I am using half blind dovetails for this project. What do you recommend?

Follow me and my current projects on Instagram! OHNOIMONFIRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, I apply painters tape to inside corners to help with squeeze out, apply glue, clamp and clean up. I use Tightbond II.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #3 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
Ditto. I sometimes wipe a bit of finish on the board either before cutting or taking care not to get into the joints to help with clean up. You only need a bit of glue on the sides of tails and pins. Any glue on the end grain surfaces is useless and increases the risk of squeeze out with nuisance clean up.
Blocks just beside the taints and pins make the clamping easy whith a spacer at the back of the drawer if the back is not in to hold the box square and do check that is held square while the glue sets.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Tape and finish are good methods for squeeze out. As a matter of fact, my workbench is topped off with finished bamboo flooring and nothing sticks to it. Glue, paint and stain all peel off when dry. A sharp straight edge is all I need.

If your asking how to apply the glue you will get different answers that are all correct. As midlandbob stated, glue on the end grain is wasted, but I let a drop of glue on between the pins and tails and spread it on the sides of these with a small artist paint brush.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
Glassnwood (01-09-2013)
post #5 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I make my (router cut) half blind dovetails a bit tight. Apply glue in the holes on the edges and hammer the parts together. They go together a bit hard because they are tight. No clamps necessary.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #6 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, I apply painters tape to inside corners to help with squeeze out, apply glue, clamp and clean up. I use Tightbond II.
I am also wondering what you are asking.

George
post #7 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

View OHNOIMONFIRE's Photo Album My Photos
I just needed tips on initially gluing the joints and where to use the glue. I'm confused at how painters tape is used. I just want to know how to ensure minimum squeeze out but strong joints.

Follow me and my current projects on Instagram! OHNOIMONFIRE
post #8 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
The tape is used so you don't have to worry about squeeze out. Say theses VVVVVVV are dovetail joint, the tape would run along the bottom like the underline VVVVVVVVV. Once you glue your pieces together, let it sit for about 15 min so the extra glue can ooze out on the tape and you pull the tape off along with the unwanted glue. Just don't wait too long and glue the tape on.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
trc65 (01-06-2013)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I use the tape on inside corners on small boxes I make. The boxes are small enough (4-5" square) that it is difficult to wipe the squeeze out off. Additionally, the inside corners on those boxes are tough to sand after gluing so sanding down raised grain (after wet wiping) is difficult and any glue that has soaked into the surface is a major pain to try and sand before finishing.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds to me like you guys are putting on way to much glue. You only need to put a small amount in the pin hole and the tail will spread this glue around. You should have a small amount of extra space for the glue. Only on very rare occasion do I get glue inside the drawer.

Again, I do half blind dovetails made with a router.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM

View BClem's Photo Album My Photos
Try using a solder brush to apply glue to these joints. They are inexpensive and disposable.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I've always just washed off what glue squeezed out with water but tape like frog tape wouldn't allow the glue to run under it. Sounds like a good idea to me.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Dovetails usually don't need much glue, so just keep it away from the parts of the dovetail that are closest to the interior. What I mean by this is that if you look at how the joint goes together, one part slides into the other. Usually that is the side slides into the front and the back. Focus on putting glue on the long grain (in the cut) closest to the end of the joint on the drawer (or box) side. Don't put any on the drawer front or back. That way when you assemble the joint you aren't pushing any glue into the interior surfaces of the joint. Glue on the end grain accomplishes nothing so use your assembly time to put it where it will do the most good.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 AM

View jimmyjames's Photo Album My Photos
Wow by the sounds of everybodys posts it seems everybodys dovetails are perfect.... i slather the glue on like its going out of style and then scrape off the excess after 15-20 minutes, the glue fills in any small imperfections in the joint making them perfect, if you dab on a tiny bit like mentioned above... youll have gaps.. but then again i dont bother hiding my dovetails and always use throughs....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode