• 2 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By pro70z28
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By johnep

post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

View Dyoung723's Photo Album My Photos
Getting glueable edge on 4Ēx4Ē pine post

Hey guys - Iím new to the forums here. Only been diving into the world of Woodworking for a few months now.

Wanted to see if anyone had a good recommendation for getting a straight and glueable edge on a 4x4 pine post. Picked em up cheap from Loweís and want to join 3 of them together to make a entryway tabletop.

Iím not as concerned with flattening, as I can do that with my router and flattening jig.

I donít have a jointer. I tried using a table saw jig, but my blade would only come up about 3.5Ē, and with the added height of the board the jig creates, I couldnít get it to work. I tried doing one side then flipping it over and doing the other, but that didnít seem to work. I have an okay table saw but not a prograde one (think itís ~$200 SKILSAW).

The straight bit on my router is only about 2Ē deep and I havenít seen one for sale thatís over 3Ē long. So the options Iíve seen that use a router wonít work either (from what I can tell)

The length of each board is about 4í.

Any advice? (Other than just buying a jointer?)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-30-2018, 02:49 PM

View videoword's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw seems like the best method, if you can get more than 2" on the first pass, just flip the timber and do the other side.

Another thing to consider: If the router bit is 2" deep - how deep can you get it when you set it to it's full plunge depth? If using a hand router, you'll want to work in passes anyways. Perhaps with the router bit fully extended you can work you way to 4"?

Or, again, just flip the timber and do 2" on the other side.

Or use a bench plane to get a flat edge.
faith michel likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-30-2018, 03:13 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung723 View Post
Hey guys - Iím new to the forums here. Only been diving into the world of Woodworking for a few months now.

Wanted to see if anyone had a good recommendation for getting a straight and glueable edge on a 4x4 pine post. Picked em up cheap from Loweís and want to join 3 of them together to make a entryway tabletop.

Iím not as concerned with flattening, as I can do that with my router and flattening jig.

I donít have a jointer. I tried using a table saw jig, but my blade would only come up about 3.5Ē, and with the added height of the board the jig creates, I couldnít get it to work. I tried doing one side then flipping it over and doing the other, but that didnít seem to work. I have an okay table saw but not a prograde one (think itís ~$200 SKILSAW).

The straight bit on my router is only about 2Ē deep and I havenít seen one for sale thatís over 3Ē long. So the options Iíve seen that use a router wonít work either (from what I can tell)

Thanks!
First, what is the source for these 4x4's?

Unless you have produced them yourself, or they are custom cut, you are likely dealing with commercial 4x4 material, which by nature is not going to be a good product to glue up. Even if you get a "glueable" edge on them it is very likely you will be back here in a few months asking why your top cracked apart.

Just my .02....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2018, 06:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoung723 View Post

Thanks!
A jointer would be the best tool. If that isn't an option a hand plane would do the job.
35015 and faith michel like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2018, 06:18 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Take them to a cabinet shop in your area and ask how much they would charge to joint them.

George
faith michel likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2018, 07:33 AM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
Dry fit them & see how far off they are now.

Or, rather than glue, you could drill holes through them all and bolt them together with ready rod. Finish it off by countersinking the ready rods and plugging the holes with pine plugs. Then run over the whole thing with a belt sander. No glue joints to fail.
faith michel likes this.

Last edited by pro70z28; 03-31-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2018, 10:56 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
Dry fit them & see how far off they are now.

Or, rather than glue, you could drill holes through them all and bolt them together with ready rod. Finish it off by countersinking the ready rods and plugging the holes with pine plugs. Then run over the whole thing with a belt sander. No glue joints to fail.
I think this is a much better route to take, and works better with the dimensional lumber you are using.

I'd route v-grooves between the 4x4's, and route a bevel on all sides of the ends. I wouldn't plug the countersink, I would use a plated flat washer and acorn nut instead. With the right metal base that would make a cool looking table.
faith michel likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2018, 12:02 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I local store sells threaded rod in various lengths and thicknesses which would be ideal. Very good idea.
johnep
faith michel likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I would think you could use the tablesaw with a sacrificial fence. Basically, drop the blade, attach some MDF/ply/pine to the fence, run it up to just barely over the edge of the blade, then slowly raise the blade with the saw running to let 1/32" or so of the blade fit cut into the sacrificial fence. If you can raise the blade to 2" off the table, you can then make two passes, flipping the wood the long way in between.

Other than that, I'd use either an electric planer (think "lunchbox planer"), or a jointing plane. I'd go with the hand plane, but only because I don't have an electric one.

No matter what you're doing, make sure the wood is dry first. 4x4 posts where I am are sometimes wet enough to drip when you cut into them. It's almost like working with green wood in a lot of ways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode