Fist time table legs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

View btspearman's Photo Album My Photos
Fist time table legs

Well I'm a bit frustrated I paid money for s4s walnut and the face surface is junk the boards are beyond wavy I don't have a jointer and I bought 4/4 with intentions of facing jointing to make square legs now I don't know what to do what would you do in this situation? Buy 8/4 and cut solid legs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 06:44 PM

View Bonka's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a thickness planer it can be used as a jointer. Google, as a suggestion, planer sled and go from there. I joint boards too wide for my 8'' jointer using my planer.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View btspearman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a planner either just getting started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 PM

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
You sir need a plane. You can go several routs here costing you up too several hundred bucks for a Lie Nielsen. Giving that you're just starting out I would suggest you get familair with ebay. Nearly all of my planes came from ebay and are pre WWII stanleys. What ever you do don't get a modern stanlye, they're crap. I was able to get my Stanlye #7 for $30, and it will do exactly what you need. It will take alot of work, and you will have to do a good bit of research on sharpening methods and on planes in general but you will use any plane constantly. If you're working with relativly straight grained wood you will be able to use a plane instead of sand paper as I do.

For a general guide on planes you will want to look through this...
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
it would be the bible of planes.

Its important to remember that most of the wood you will buy will not be straight and will need some kind of planing. I spend the majority of my time in the shop shaping rough sawn wood. And even if you were to buy over sized legs and cut them straight, when you remove a lot of matieral like that the wood is prone to changing shape and warping again.

Most people start with a no 5. Its big enough to do the jointing but also short enough that it wont kill you to use it.

Last edited by GISer3546; 08-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode