First Table Top - Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

View Shaytmg's Photo Album My Photos
First Table Top - Advice

Hi All,

Happy to have found this forum as there seems to be alot of experienced people here. I would like to try my hands at making a dinning room table and using reclaimed wood for the table top. It is going to be 6 feet long and 5 feet wide. I plan on buying a custom base kit from https://www.osbornewood.com/ and making the top at a local maker space which has a jointer and planer among other tools.

I will be buying reclaimed wood boards from a local lumber yard. Is glue the best way to join them for the tabletop u? Would using a kreg jig to put in pocket screws be a bad idea?

Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to attached the tabletop to the base? The base kit comes with pre-drilled pockets holes but I am worried about expansion and contraction of the top since it is on the larger side.

Thanks so much for any advice. Appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2016, 07:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Any wood glue would do fine to glue the top together. The edges will need to be milled square and straight on a jointer. That is enough alone. The kreg screws are unwanted and unnecessary. You will need either bar clamps or pipe clamps to make the glue up. The skirt of the table should be mounted to the base and the top mounted to the skirt with some Rockler table top clips. This will allow for wood movement. http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...qcYaApZn8P8HAQ
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Good advise on the glue and no kreg plus the clips. I do have a question for you... why 5ft wide? You may have a reason but I would think any table wider then 40 inches is too wide for a table top.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytmg View Post
Hi All,

It is going to be 6 feet long and 5 feet wide. I plan on buying a custom base kit from https://www.osbornewood.com/ and making the top at a local maker space which has a jointer and planer among other tools.

I will be buying reclaimed wood boards from a local lumber yard. Is glue the best way to join them for the tabletop u? Would using a kreg jig to put in pocket screws be a bad idea?
Great advice from Steve as usual. Just glue the boards up and forget the screws.

Before buying the reclaimed might ask the machine tool owner. Reclaimed can have knife destroying nails and other items invisible inside it and they may not allow you to mill it.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

View Shaytmg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
Good advise on the glue and no kreg plus the clips. I do have a question for you... why 5ft wide? You may have a reason but I would think any table wider then 40 inches is too wide for a table top.
Thanks for all of the advice. To be honest we have been using 2 folding tables pushed together as a dinning room table ever since we moved into a house. Together these measure 5x6 and we like the shape and size. A picture is attached (not sure why its upside down though). We entertain a lot and typically have 8-10 people over at a time for meals, plus kids, so to be able to seat 2-3 people on each side of the table is great. Only problem is the dead spot in the middle where all the serving platters end up.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shaytmg; 12-05-2016 at 12:24 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 12:59 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytmg View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. To be honest we have been using 2 folding tables pushed together as a dinning room table ever since we moved into a house. Together these measure 5x6 and we like the shape and size. A picture is attached (not sure why its upside down though). We entertain a lot and typically have 8-10 people over at a time for meals, plus kids, so to be able to seat 2-3 people on each side of the table is great. Only problem is the dead spot in the middle where all the serving platters end up.
If you are set on the dimensions, just get a lazy susan for the dead spot in the center.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If you plan to use a pedestal base for the table, attach a 3/4" square of plywood to the pedestal, (approx 15" X 15") to attach the top to the base. Pre-drill this board to Use screws into the pedestal and screws into the bottom of the table.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode