The first of many questions... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

View OIF2Veteran's Photo Album My Photos
The first of many questions...

Hello. First, this forum looks awesome and I hope to get a lot of my problems solved as I continue to learn this hobby.

I've been working on an oak bookcase for my daughter and have just reached the assembly portion of the project. I used oak plywood to build the carcase, cutting dadoes into the sides to hold the shelves. I've been trying to figure out how to best put the sides and shelves together. I want to use glue and a couple brads on each shelf, but how to I do this when I only have 2 hands? I've tried propping one side up, but it generally falls when I try to dry-fit a shelf. I've also tried to clamp it all up and basically glue and replace each shelf as I go. this didn't work so well either.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
-Rick

I started woodworking to help me cope with the symptoms of PTSD due to my military service in Iraq. My goal is to learn woodworking and hopefully attract other Vets to this awesome hobby. I'm blogging about my journey at http://thewoodstudy.blogspot.com. Please stop by and take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

I machine my dadoes to be a snug fit. Standing an end panel on edge, the shelf shouldn't just fall out. If your dado is too large and the shelf slips easily, lay the end on its backside, and stand in the shelf and shoot a brad into the end.

You could use a Jorgensen handscrew clamp on the end to keep it on edge while you fit the shelf. Lay the clamp flat on the bench, open jaws parallel, and slide the end into the jaws. If the clamp is set to a parallel opening it can be tightened with one hand...the rear handle will close the jaws.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
OIF2Veteran (03-11-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM

View GoIrish's Photo Album My Photos
Rocker sells plastic squares and small clamps to go with them. I bought some on sale and got a couple free with purchase. Even full price they are worth it. The little claps are very handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoIrish For This Useful Post:
OIF2Veteran (03-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I didn't think of using a handscrew clamp. I'll give that a shot! I guess I'll remember that next time.

The dadoes are certainly not as "snug" as I would like them to be. To be honest, these are the first dadoes I've ever cut. I took a couple practice runs and the final cuts were just slightly larger than the thickness of the shelves. Being the first time I ever used the dado stack, I was pretty proud of myself just to get it close!

Do I need to be concerned with wood movement when using plywood? The reason I ask is because I plan to assemble that carcase before I apply the finish. I don't have a good assembly table built yet to spread all the pieces out on for finishing.

I started woodworking to help me cope with the symptoms of PTSD due to my military service in Iraq. My goal is to learn woodworking and hopefully attract other Vets to this awesome hobby. I'm blogging about my journey at http://thewoodstudy.blogspot.com. Please stop by and take a look.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post
Rocker sells plastic squares and small clamps to go with them. I bought some on sale and got a couple free with purchase. Even full price they are worth it. The little claps are very handy.
I've seen those before. I'm going to try to get by with handscrew first but if that doesn't work alone, I'll make something similar to the Rockler squares to try with it.

BTW, that's what I like about Rockler; they use the word "innovation" in their ads and they mean it. I'm a Woodcraft fan too. I have to be, their company headquarters are about an hour from me. That's a big deal in WV!

post #6 of 8 Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Splinter Picker

View jharris's Photo Album My Photos
You might find these helpful as well.

http://www.toolorbit.com/Jet/Jet-709055.html
post #7 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 AM
aspiring to learn

View sgtrunningfool's Photo Album My Photos
In a pinch I have use ratchet tied downs to hold everything together til glue dries but definitely not ideal but will work. I just wrapped them around near the shelved and it holds together.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2Veteran View Post
I didn't think of using a handscrew clamp. I'll give that a shot! I guess I'll remember that next time.

The dadoes are certainly not as "snug" as I would like them to be. To be honest, these are the first dadoes I've ever cut. I took a couple practice runs and the final cuts were just slightly larger than the thickness of the shelves. Being the first time I ever used the dado stack, I was pretty proud of myself just to get it close!
If you have router, that would be an easier and more accurate way of doing dadoes IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF2Veteran View Post
Do I need to be concerned with wood movement when using plywood? The reason I ask is because I plan to assemble that carcase before I apply the finish. I don't have a good assembly table built yet to spread all the pieces out on for finishing.
No, you don't have the movement issues with plywood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode