First Glue up advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
The New Guy

View Flatty's Photo Album My Photos
First Glue up advice

I am planning out my work bench and plan to glue up my work bench top. My question is what wood and dimensions should I use for the counter top? also who should I plan out my bench dog holes?

Thanks
Flatty

This will be my first glue up!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 PM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
I would need more information to answer your question directly. Do you use hand tools or power tools? Have you done an internet search into designs?

I would recommend a book on building work benches by Chris Swartz. He give a lot of information about tailoring a design to your needs.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 11:40 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty View Post
I am planning out my work bench and plan to glue up my work bench top. My question is what wood and dimensions should I use for the counter top? also who should I plan out my bench dog holes?

Thanks
Flatty

This will be my first glue up!!!!!

Hi - for the top I just used two 3/4" sheets of OSB and covered that with 1/4" tempered hardboard.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
The New Guy

View Flatty's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
I would need more information to answer your question directly. Do you use hand tools or power tools? Have you done an internet search into designs?

I would recommend a book on building work benches by Chris Swartz. He give a lot of information about tailoring a design to your needs.
Wagoner
Thanks for the advice on the book I will look into it tonight. As for what my intentions are for my bench and the tools I will use are. I plan to use both hand and power tools, mostly dependent on the project and as my skills progress.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
woodchuckswood.biz

View Chancewoodchuck's Photo Album My Photos
bench material

In my shop we have several different benches and it depends what they are being used for as to what materials are used...the benches that are used for building and get a lot of glue spilled on them are made of osb or mdf covered with laminate so glue repeatedly wipes off... for benches used for machining we us a maple top that will with stand jigs being repeatedly screwed down to it ...for the final area we just have benches with a mdf top...
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM

View yeag6154's Photo Album My Photos
When I build my large work bench I used MDF for the surface. I chose MDF because it is strong enough for my application which is primarily the chop saw for cutting lengths of raw lumber.

My glue table is 1/2 ply. I use this because it's cheap and as glue builds up on the table I can remove it and replace with a new sheet quickly and easily.

For my smaller portable benches I used White Ash that I planed and jointed to build me a very strong and stable work surface. This is primarily where I lay out my lumber and mix and match grain patterns to suite my needs. This also serves as an area for me to clamp down projects to use the router, sanders, or for staining.

If your work bench is going to serve multiple purposes, I would consider multiple surfaces. Break down your needs and chose products based on your applications. Price to replace and strength required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode