Final look of joint? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-27-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

View Belg's Photo Album My Photos
Question Final look of joint?

I'm trying to see in my mind how this would look when fully assembled. The wedge would sit on top and protrude thru the mortise on both sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-27-2015, 09:19 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
that joint won't assemble....

The widest part of the tenon must be at the rear, not the front. Your wedge is meant to slide on the inclined portion of the tenon, and won't show from the "back" side. JMO.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Actually the wedge will show from the back side unless you cut the tenon with a shoulder on the top, opening has to be same size as end of tenon so it will go through, then it drops down.
Attached Images

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM

View SB_Wood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belg View Post

I'm trying to see in my mind how this would look when fully assembled. The wedge would sit on top and protrude thru the mortise on both sides?
As draw, yes the wedge will be visible on both sides of the mortise. It can stick out or be trimmed flush.

As Frank pointed out, the shorter end of the mortise must be at least as tall as the tall end of the tenon(could play with angling it in during assembly and squeak by with an ever so slightly shorter mortise depending on wedge angle and total tenon length).

As drawn this picture is also incorrect for the wedge. The top of the tenon and top of the mortise will be parallel when assembled, meaning the wedge will only have a single line of contact top and bottom at it's thick end. The top of the mortise should be at the same angle as the wedge for good face-to-face mating on all 4 sides of the wedge. Edit, as in Frank's drawings, notice the wedge angle he included in the upper part of the mortise.

Last edited by SB_Wood; 09-28-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

View Belg's Photo Album My Photos
Guys, thanks so much. And it looks like we don't have a 100% agreement in the final look. lol I get that the mortise would need to be as tall as the widest part of the tenon(unless angled during assembly) I do think the end of the wedge would show thru on both sides. By the way this is not my drawing it was copied from this page which someone posted on here a couple of days ago. http://sawdustmaking.com/woodjoints/...tenon.htm#f157
I'm thinking a full sized thru mortise with a wedge on the far side of the socket would be much more sound and look better as well. Like this??
post #6 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
That is a more common way of locking the joint and will also work well for any furniture that may have to be easily knocked down in the future.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Belg (09-29-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode