Favorite joint for boxes? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

View lateralus819's Photo Album My Photos
Favorite joint for boxes?

Curious what you all prefer to use to join corners of a box.

I'm getting fed up with miters and think i may just switch to dovetails and invest in a decent jig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM

View nblasa's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried finger joints? They look pretty neat. Miters can be dressed up a bit by adding a couple of perpendicular exposed splines of a different wood type. You know, like maple splines on a walnut box or vise versa. Good luck with the dovetails if you try them. I still need some more practice with them before using them
post #3 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblasa View Post
Have you tried finger joints? They look pretty neat. Miters can be dressed up a bit by adding a couple of perpendicular exposed splines of a different wood type. You know, like maple splines on a walnut box or vise versa. Good luck with the dovetails if you try them. I still need some more practice with them before using them
Yeah i know, I just really don't have the quality of tools i wish i had. I just get down on myself, i think I'm expecting to be better then i am, but in realty I've only been doing this stuff for a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the finger joints.
Check this out.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #5 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
DTs... All ya need is a saw and chisel, jigs need not apply.
The Following User Says Thank You to firemedic For This Useful Post:
trc65 (10-28-2012)
post #6 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
Im itching to start doing them by hand, I've watched a great vid by this gentlemen check it out.

Ive thought of buying his magnet too. Seems relatively easy once the effort is put forth to master it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lateralus819 For This Useful Post:
trc65 (10-28-2012)
post #7 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 03:17 PM

View HandToolGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic
Firemedic's right. You need a good saw, some chisels, a mallet and a coping saw or fret saw and lots of time to practice. You learn to cut dovetails by cutting lots and lots of dovetails.

But don't start by trying to make an heirloom jewelry box. Start by making stuff for your shop; tool boxes and shop furniture that will be strong and will last. Then, when you know what you're doing, make that jewelry box.
The Following User Says Thank You to HandToolGuy For This Useful Post:
trc65 (10-28-2012)
post #8 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried a box joint. I don't put much into building a box. I normally either miter the corners or just butt joint them.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I'd go with a dovetail joint. The first dovetailed box I made was using a $30 jig from Home Depot (which certainly wasn't the greatest, but it did the trick). It was a great introduction to a basic half blind dovetail and produced ok results with some patience and a bunch of test cuts to see how to adjust the joint.

Favorite joint for boxes?-image-2750012805.jpg

Favorite joint for boxes?-image-402446086.jpg

True they're not hand-cut, but came out not bad for a first attempt. Give it a shot man!
post #10 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Nice box. I was trying to read your arm. What's it say?

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #11 of 17 Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
I'd go with a dovetail joint. The first dovetailed box I made was using a $30 jig from Home Depot (which certainly wasn't the greatest, but it did the trick). It was a great introduction to a basic half blind dovetail and produced ok results with some patience and a bunch of test cuts to see how to adjust the joint.

Attachment 53978

Attachment 53979

True they're not hand-cut, but came out not bad for a first attempt. Give it a shot man!
Probably the general dovetail jig i assume? I used that on my guitar amp build and experienced the same results you did. Its an okay jig, but i do wish i would have gotten a better one as my cabinet does have a few gaps but you live and learn.

I deffinitely want a better jig soon. I'm torn though, i don't want to jus give up on certain parts of woodworking (miter joints) As I'd like to be proficient with as many aspects of woodworking as possible.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick
Nice box. I was trying to read your arm. What's it say?
It's the Prayer of St Francis :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
Dominick (02-12-2013)
post #13 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus819

Probably the general dovetail jig i assume? I used that on my guitar amp build and experienced the same results you did. Its an okay jig, but i do wish i would have gotten a better one as my cabinet does have a few gaps but you live and learn.

I deffinitely want a better jig soon. I'm torn though, i don't want to jus give up on certain parts of woodworking (miter joints) As I'd like to be proficient with as many aspects of woodworking as possible.
Yep, the general indeed lol. I ordered a Leigh super 12 last week and can't wait to get it this week. I'll post a review, well my opinion anyway, after I get familiar with it.

I think each particular type of joint has its advantages and disadvantages, as well as its strength and weakness. Unless you're doing a splined miter, a miter is probably the weakest joint for a box and a PITA to boot. I use miters way more often in trim carpentry than in joinery.

But then the key to anything is practice, practice, practice, as you surely know if you are a guitar player
post #14 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM

View nblasa's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a table saw? if you do you can start working on some different strategies by getting a dado set, building some different jigs, and experimenting a bit.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus819 View Post
Curious what you all prefer to use to join corners of a box.

I'm getting fed up with miters and think i may just switch to dovetails and invest in a decent jig.
I only use dovetales and pin's, i do jewelry box's and i can make dovetales and pin's before you can go the 45's ect. I have 2 router tables with 2 routers that stay in their all the time. My dovetale jug is made by Gifkins which cost lot's of $$ but you can get one that is cheeper but i my self wouldn't do the hassel i have heared about some. This one out of the box does perfect every time with 2 set up's for the thickness and width and than you are ready to do both from the same jig , which you just move over the dovetales and then move it ovet for the pin's of course change the wood, like the frount is for the dovetales and the side's are for the pin's, that way you see the tale from the frount of the unit. Here is the link of the one i have , i been using this one sence 1996 when it first came out. the link http://www.gifkins.com.au/ you can get it from Japan Wood worker in Cal. look up on the web here are my box with dovetale and pin's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box's at market (2).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	54061  

post #16 of 17 Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a system I wish I had gone for instead of the Rockler dovetail jig (porter cable clone).
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...nt_system.html

Just seems like a lot more variety available

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #17 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM

View mark c ames's Photo Album My Photos
I absolutely love my Leigh 24 . Not only the versatility of variable dove tails but also the isolok joints.

Favorite joint for boxes?-image-99762263.jpg

24" heart dovetails on a cedar Chest.

Favorite joint for boxes?-image-3000310818.jpg

Latest is a drawer jewelry box out of walnut and Spalted maple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode