Face Gluing - Planer or Jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GISer3546

post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

View penpoint's Photo Album My Photos
Face Gluing - Planer or Jointer

Hi All. I have a piece of stock that I have split with a band saw and am looking to face glue the two pieces back together. Would it be better to plane the face of each piece or use a jointer?

Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
What size are they? Was the board flat/perpendicular prior to resawing? What type of wood? Photos?

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Hello David. Thanks for the reply. The wood is a piece of 5/4 S2S red oak. It was flat and square prior to cutting. It is 15 " long. I split it into two pieces length-wise, so I now have 2 pieces that are 15" long x 2" wide x 7/16" thick. I want to face-glue them back together and the faces of the pieces are rough from the band saw blade. Just want to know the best method to create flat, smooth, and square pieces for gluing. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 12:16 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I cannot think of any reason why it would matter which machine. I would probably use my jointer just because I can probably control the depth of cut easier and more accurately.

George
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Then if the opposite side is good like you say I would use my planer on the resawed side. That will ensure the board parallel in thickness. It's possible to throw that off using the jointer if your technique or machine isn't setup precisely. I say planer.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM

View Tman1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner
Then if the opposite side is good like you say I would use my planer on the resawed side. That will ensure the board parallel in thickness. It's possible to throw that off using the jointer if your technique or machine isn't setup precisely. I say planer.
+1, I was thinking the exact same thing.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
me also ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post

The good side always goes down on the planer bed. Done. Jointers don't make parallel faces, as a rule, unless you are lucky and have a perfect resaw.

What I don't get is why you split them, then decided that was a bad idea and now want to glue them back together....? If you want to create more interest, add a thin piece of a different color/type of wood in the center.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (11-24-2015)
post #8 of 11 Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Yes difalkner - if your original stock was square, then use the square uncut side down on the planer table. If you try the new cutside down on the jointer, you will only make that side flat and it may not be square like woodnthings explained.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What I don't get is why you split them, then decided that was a bad idea and now want to glue them back together
Actually, I didn't decide it was a bad idea (though it may have been). I'm trying to make a magnetic tool or knife holder with the magnets hidden. I split the stock, routed a slot for the magnets, and then I will glue the two pieces back together. I'm just trying to determine the best method to make sure the face of each pieces is flat and even for the gluing.

I guess I could route the front of the original stock instead of splitting it, insert the magnets, and use some thin wood to glue over that for the front. Would that be better, you think?

Either way, thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Everything helps.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-25-2015, 11:54 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If your bandsaw cuts were clean the two parts should fit when glued back together without any further work on them.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (11-25-2015)
post #11 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 PM

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
I did something similar recently and used a planer with good results. Those being only 2" wide you should be able to do it by hand as long as the surfaces are square.
Attached Images

regesullivan likes this.

Last edited by GISer3546; 11-29-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode