entertainment center desktop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

View northstarjim's Photo Album My Photos
entertainment center desktop

Hello. First time here. Please be nice!
I am planning a wall unit with cabinets and upper shelves. It will be painted. I want the edge of the desktop to match the existing window stool in the rest of the house. On the left side of the unit the desk top may even be mitered (and be continuous with) to the adjacent window stool. The window stool profile is from a molding supplier and I can't find the router bit to match it.
I was thinking of making the desktop out of good quality mdf and attaching the window stool to the edge. The stool comes in various widths from 6 to 12 inches. I'm not sure if it is possible to get a seamless joint between the mdf sheet and the stool material. Do you think this can be done? Best method of joining the pieces?
Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I hate mdf, and you may learn to hate it also. :-)
Gluing/nailing an edge to mdf is not advised. The mdf doesn't take glue very well.
3/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood would be a good alternative.

Good luck with your project.
Post a pic or sketch of your project.
We like pictures!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 AM
EdS

View EdS's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the first response, glue and MDF will not hold. Use a good paint grade plywood and avoid the joint. One of the best tips I can give you is to find a good hardwood/lumber supplier in your area and visit the place. Houston has several such suppliers that carry not only an amazing selection of hardwoods but also plywood, veneers and custom molding. It is likely this will save you a lot of time for not a lot more money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

View northstarjim's Photo Album My Photos
I'm using birch plywood for most of the cabinet and could use it for the top but what about the edge profile? You can't router plywood. I still would like that profile to at least come close to matching the stool profile.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 AM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
Glue a wide enough hardwood trip to the plywood edge to cut the profile in.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 AM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I did a built in curio cabinet in a dining room with chair rail once. I used birch ply for the top, which sat at the same height as the top of the chair rail. I used a piece of the chair rail molding (ripped down to 1 1/2") for the edge of the counter and coped it in to the wall rail for a seamless transition.
The molding was glued to the counter edge with epoxy, to eliminate the possibility of the joint cracking in the future. Use the epoxy to fill the joint between the molding and the top, sand flush, and paint. Invisible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode