Edge jointing & gaps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

View Cynical Roland's Photo Album My Photos
Edge jointing & gaps

Hello,

Im new to this whole woodworking thing. Got my first table saw and been practicing to saw straight boards so I could glue them together. Aint that easy :)
So I got few board with gaps. My question would be: Can you work with boards with small gaps (I attached photo of board with gap) or should it be a perfectly match and I should straighten them?
*My post looks a bit messy...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Personally I don't believe in gluing together sawn wood. The edges should be machined on a jointer prior to being glued together. The joint depends on the wood being tightly together and the coarseness of the saw cut prevents this. If you are going to do this you need to eliminate the gaps between the boards. Otherwise a lot of pressure would be needed to force the wood together. How ever much pressure needed to force the wood together is how much stress the wood will be putting on it to pull the joint apart. The best way to make a glue joint on a table saw is to make a sled to keep the wood straight against the fence. It also helps to use a really sharp blade. Any deflection of the blade when ripping the parts will cause the joint not to be straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Cynical Roland (09-13-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Rather than going through it all again, maybe read through here first:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f5/st...inting-145938/

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
Cynical Roland (09-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
here's the best tip

Your table saw will NOT saw a straight edge on a board with a curved edge against the fence. So now what? You must start with a straight edge to get straight edges on the cut piece. So how do you do that? ....

Use a "straight line rip jig"

Here's what it looks like and how it works:
I made two sizes,one long enough for 8 footers and a 54" for shorter boards. I used 1/4" hardboard for the bottom and a 1 X 3" piece of Oak for the toggles to mount on. It looks like this:

Used the straight edge of a piece of Masonite to register against the fence, added a Oak 1 X 2 1/2" for support and some hold downs and off I went.....

Once I had one edge straight lined, I ripped the other edge parallel just using the fence alone. I worked great.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

View Cynical Roland's Photo Album My Photos
The "funny" thing is, that I made two straight edege boards and then decided to saw one in half against the fence. So the wider board from the photo is straight and the the smaller one.. well thats the result of splitting. I assume its lack of skill and practice. Then I started thinking I know nothing about mistakes and errors, can there be 1mm there and here or it cant. Just like the guy from previous post "Struggling with edge jointing"
Thanks for the information guys, it helped me. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode