Edge Gluing Shelf - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

View Chris44256's Photo Album My Photos
Edge Gluing Shelf

Sorry if this has been asked before. Newbie here and couldn't find it using search.

My wife wants a book/toy shelf for our daughter. She wants it around 14-16" deep so I am going to edge glue some 1x8s together for the shelving. The shelves will be about 44in long. My question is if edge gluing will be strong enough to hold the weight of books and toys across that span.

Im relatively new to woodworking and have made only a few small projects, but I know edge gluing is quite strong and I would assume that the glue will be more than strong enough especially since the shelves are going to be attached to the case with pocket screws

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2016, 11:00 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Joining the wood wouldn't be a problem. You would have the same problem if you had a 16" wide board. 44" is really too long of a span. What would work better is if you made the shelf to where it sits on adjustable shelf pins or brackets and can be easily turned over. The shelf will just sag over time and when it becomes an issue turn it over.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 AM

View gumbo2176's Photo Album My Photos
You mentioned you are building this in a case form. I'll assume the case has solid wood/MDF/Plywood sides you plan on using pocket screws to attach the shelf to. What about the back? Is it going to be enclosed in some type 1/4 inch plywood or is it simply going to be open where the wall can be seen behind it?

The reason I ask is, if the back of the case will have a plywood back, you can then glue a piece of wood to it that will offer support to the entire back edge of the shelf and then add a similar size piece of wood to the face of the shelf to strengthen it. That should make it much stronger and less likely to bend over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Add a 1" X 2" edge to the front of your shelf to stiffen it up and it won't sag. Plus it will probably look nicer.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode