dust/trash in poly/stain - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

View PhantomBlake's Photo Album My Photos
dust/trash in poly/stain

redoing my cabinets for my wife, they were natural stain with a light gloss on them. I have the poly/stain and tested it on 3 doors now but still getting dust in it, cleaning it with a damp rag and then air dry then tack cloth, but after the stain gets layed down it looks amazing but now I got all these specks I need out, any suggestions on how to resand and restain but to prevent the dust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
00 steel wool is amazing but it is a little messy. You'll want to wear gloves and will have a lot of particles to clean up but it is great for cleaning up poly.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I bet the tack cloth is causing the specks. The goo will come off of a tack cloth if you don't use it real lightly. I quit using a tack cloth altogether for that reason. You would be better off using a clean rag and compressed air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Some of these guys are quick to give advice with little details of what you are doing .To start with,what type of wood is it? What type of poly/stain is it? Water or oil based? Spraying or brushing?
Steve has a good point about tack cloths.Don't use those.If the wood is oak or some other wood with a high tannin content do not use steel wool.Especially if it's a waterborne finish.The steel wool will leave fragments in the wood that will react with the finish and leave black stains.
If your spraying you could be causing the the airborn particles from that.What is the enviornment your finishing in? Cabinet already hung in the kitchen or the old dusty garage?Maybe a damp basement that slows the drying ?
I would no t attempt to answer this question with any kind of a reasonable answer without more information.Also remember on any internet forum you don't know if your dealing with guy that just finished his first project and thinks he knows everything now or a seasoned pro with 50 years experience.
Your description is also very vague as far as the finish that was used .If they are natural they are not stained althought Minwax does make a natural stain which makes no sence to me. With a light gloss also gives no info as far as type of topcoat.You may mean semi gloss yet it could be a multitude of different types of topcoats.
I'm not trying to be a #$#hole but just trying to give you a clue what asking a question like this without more info and not knowing who your dealing with on a internet forum can lead to as far as finishing kitchen cabinets.If you listened to everyones advice you may end up doing it 10 times with bad results or you may end up doing it once with the right advice and loving it.
It's a gamble . JMHO
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I should have added that this is an excellent woodworking forum with a lot of knowledgable folks here .As a novice it's just hard to weed out the good info from the bad. When dealing with a large project especially ,do plenty of research on your own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode