drawer locking router bit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

View Jack142's Photo Album My Photos
drawer locking router bit

I'm working on the plans for my kitchen drawers. I am using 1/2 inch stock ( wood not ply) for the box and then screwing in a drawer front.
I was thinking of finger joints, then someone mentioned using a router bit designed for drawers.
I been reading Rockler catalog on the bits. It sounds to me like I have to join 1/2 in sides to 3/4 inch fronts and backs ?
Not really what I want to do.
Am I right on this ?
Does anyone have any experience with a drawer locking router bit ?
Thanks Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack142 View Post
I'm working on the plans for my kitchen drawers. I am using 1/2 inch stock ( wood not ply) for the box and then screwing in a drawer front.
I was thinking of finger joints, then someone mentioned using a router bit designed for drawers.
I been reading Rockler catalog on the bits. It sounds to me like I have to join 1/2 in sides to 3/4 inch fronts and backs ?
Not really what I want to do.
Am I right on this ?
Does anyone have any experience with a drawer locking router bit ?
Thanks Jack
No, you can join same thickness boards with the drawer lock bit. You don't really need that bit, it just mimics a locking rabbet which can be done with a slot cutter or a straight bit on the router table or just cut on the table saw. I figured that out after I bought one for my first set of drawers. If the drawers are overlaid and the fronts integral, it does make life a lot easier but for attached fronts it really isn't needed.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Locking rabbet joint

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, but now I have more questions ?
If I am using 1/2 in wood for sides, front and back.
I googled up a locking rabbet joint and it appears to me that I need 3/4 inch wood.
At least, in all the examples I looked at they were 1/2 in to 3/4 in or just 3/4 inch, all using a 1/2 rabbet
It looks easy enough to do on my table saw. I have a dado blade setup.
And I am not sure if I tried a 1/8 rabbet it would be strong enough.

The examples have the 3/4 inch board divided in 3 1/4 in cut out, and the 1/ in board fits into.

So, I got more questions then answers right now. All advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

rabbet joint

ok I saw one that works on 1/2 inch. its actually 2 cuts instead of 3. It works on 1/2 board 1/4 in rabbets. jeeze I feel stupid
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack142 View Post
ok I saw one that works on 1/2 inch. its actually 2 cuts instead of 3. It works on 1/2 board 1/4 in rabbets. jeeze I feel stupid
Hi Jack - not stupid, just unfamiliar with the things. I replaced my 15 kitchen drawers and built about a dozen shop drawers with 1/2" plywood (closer to 7/16" actually). I cut all the grooves 1/4" x1/4" and made the rabbets 1/4" x 3/16". Since I was using plywood, I wasn't concerned with seasonal expansion and attached the bottoms the same way. Talk about a solid drawer, especially the ones with dividers dadoed and glued in.
I only used the drawer lock bit on the first 3 shop drawers I made, all the rest were done with slot cutters and straight bits.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

my table saw is going to be my workhorse in rebuilding the kitchen. Its old, real old, my dad built his house with it in 1950.
Its solid 1/4 in steel not aluminum or cast. I been using it for almost 30 yrs now and it still cuts true.
I'm rebuilding drawers and doors, refacing the cabinet fronts, building 2 new cabinets to match.
Its a beadboard country look, painted off white, ( wife picked buttercream ? )
I want to make sure what I build looks good and is solid.
I'll try to attach a pic to show what its is going to look like.
I hope the pic attached
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

oh wife decided I'm doing solid drawer fronts too much beadboard otherwise
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You could do a simple drawer joint with just the table saw and a single blade. Just a simple rabbet to the drawer sides. Using ½" stock, make two cuts. The rabbet will be ¼"x ½". Groove the bottom of the sides and the front for the bottom. The back is cut short to slide the bottom in. The four drawer members are ½". Make a separate drawer front (to add) from ¾" material.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I'm late for this party, but you can use a locking joint on wood as thin as 1/4" all around. I've done it for drawers in jewelry boxes. You also can make them without a dado set or the special bit. All you need is a table saw with a good blade or a really steady hand with a hand saw.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode