Dowel pins & Biscuit joints - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

View bigjoedo's Photo Album My Photos
Dowel pins & Biscuit joints

Hey Gang,

I have been working on a oak nightstand for a Christmas present. So far, screwing up 6 legs and cutting & gluing 6 new ones. I am a newbie and just can't get the mortise and tenon joints right.
I had a few questions:

Can I use biscuit joints to fasten 3/4 inch oak veneer plywood to 1 1/2 inch solid oak stock ? (in place of the M&T joints?) These are the rear & side panels.

Can I use doweling to replace M&T joints to fasten 3/4 inch square stock to 1 1/2 inch oak stock? (These will be for the cross pieces that go under the drawer front) The Drawer slides will be screwed into place. One biscuits & dowels are glued in place, I will clamp the sections together until the carpenters glue dries. I jut purchased a Kreg Pocket hole jig. Would this be a better joint to use ?Thanks for the help.

Joe

PS. I have a doweling jig and a biscuit jointer.

Last edited by bigjoedo; 11-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM

View Harddog Wood's Photo Album My Photos
I love the biscuit joiner. I also love pocket jig. I prefer to use the biscuit if I need to hide the joint. You could use either one, of course the pocket holes will show underneath. Your choice. If you might have to take apart at a later date, the pocket holes would be my choice. harddog
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 AM
PK.

View PK.'s Photo Album My Photos
If I read you correctly you want to solidly mount your back and side panels of plywood to the legs which are solid wood.

If that's what you're doing, it's sort of a no-no, but people do it. Biscuits or pocket screws would be easiest. You might find that it's easier to make a plywood box and then overlay the corners with the oak wood. This takes all the headaches out of the equation but still looks good.

You can certainly dowel the stretchers for your drawer instead of m&t. Use a dowel of the same sort of wood. I do it all the time with a 1" stretcher on a 2" leg. For a 3/4" stretcher, a 3/8" dowel will work and is readily available.

I'm not entirely certain as to how you're making your panels. If you could describe them in detail I expect you'd get several ideas in response that might save you some frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

HOWDY,

The side panels are as follows:
Legs 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" Oak
Top Rail 2 1/2" X 16 1/4" Oak
Bottom rail 3 1/2" X 16 1/4" Oak
Side panel 19 1/2" X 13 3/4" Oak veneer Plywood 3/4"

Rear Panel:
Top rail 2 1/2" X 20" Oak
Bottom Rail 3 1/2" X 20" Oak
Panel 19 1/2" X 19 3/4" Oak plywood 3/4"

Front Panel:
4 rails all 1 3/8" square X 20" Oak
Bottom Rail 2 1/2" X 20" Oak

I could not cut and paste a picture. Sorry

Joe
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM

View JON BELL's Photo Album My Photos
Practice makes perfect.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
Loose tenons [relax...you can do it with a router you don't need to mortgage the farm for a Festfool Domino ]

I 'spose biscuits would work too.

If it's a large panel I think a stub tenon would work. But what do I know from furniture!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
PK.

View PK.'s Photo Album My Photos
I don't understand the reason for the 3/4" ply. If you're making a plywood box and then applying a frame, then you don't need m&t's. If you're making a frame, using the legs as stiles, then you don't need 3/4" ply for a panel.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK. View Post
I don't understand the reason for the 3/4" ply. If you're making a plywood box and then applying a frame, then you don't need m&t's. If you're making a frame, using the legs as stiles, then you don't need 3/4" ply for a panel.
PK,

That is just what the plan calls for. The side panels are made of 3/4 inch veneer plywood. These panels are surrounded by solid oak frame.

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode