6Likes
  • 2 Post By allpurpose
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 2 Post By allpurpose
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

View BigEd313's Photo Album My Photos
Dowel or mortise and tendon?

So I am trying to decide what joinery I should use for attaching supports to a vertical beam for a farmhouse table. Where the top and bottom (from the the table top and foot) meet in the middle of the vertical beam at 45 degrees, should I drill and dowel of do a shallow mortise and tendon? I attempted to attach a photo but we'll see if it happens.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b00dad8f0fc9084ec768a2014106aa5c (1).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	309729  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Another example of this idea....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1034873114c8ff46c8a4e82a97e2a85.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	309737  

post #3 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I dunno if tendons are a good choice for anything you build unless you're building arms and legs. Now tenons might be a good idea as they don't require amputating another coscious being to get them.

Sometimes spell check is great, sometimes it just doesn't see the big picture of what you're trying to convey.
amckenzie4 and BigEd313 like this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 08-16-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Either will work, once it is all locked together, your choice and nobody will ever know which you used.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
For that, it seems like a floating tenon (or dowel) would be easier to pull off.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #6 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I dunno if tendons are a good choice for anything you build unless you're building arms and legs. Now tenons might be a good idea as they don't require amputating another coscious being to get them.

Sometimes spell check is great, sometimes it just doesn't see the big picture of what you're trying to convey.
I cannot say with any certainty that the mistake was not mine.....I am trapped at the Subaru dealer with my wife's vehicle and it's really not my gig. I'll take the blame on this one, lol.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd313 View Post
I cannot say with any certainty that the mistake was not mine.....I am trapped at the Subaru dealer with my wife's vehicle and it's really not my gig. I'll take the blame on this one, lol.
It is okay, those of us that wished to help understood. :smile3:
Kerrys likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #8 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Many years ago, one of the woodworking magazines (American Woodworker or Fine Woodworking I think) did an exhaustive article testing various wood joinery methods. I have the magazine somewhere, but it will take me hours to pick through the many boxes to find it. Anyway, the results were rather surprising in that most any form of joinery that was composed of tight fitting members and secured with the current woodworking glues was more than sufficiently strong enough for furniture and it's intended use. As I recall, dowels, biscuits, and loose tenons were all nearly equal in breaking strength. Properly sized and fitted mortise and tenon joints were stronger, much like pinned bridle joints. Current glues are stronger than most wood fibers and the wood normally fails before the glue does. The more mechanical the join, the stronger it will be. I tend to over build things and I now pin nearly all joinery I do for added strength.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #9 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Dowels are probably easier to use and for the most part pretty darn strong as long as the material used is a good quality hardwood as opposed to pine dowel.
Tenons aren't extremely difficult, but do require a bit more work and planning. The only drawback I can even think of is whether you can drill straight in at that angle, but the same problem exist using tenons..
Personally I would probably go with dowel. Drill as straight as you can, tap into place with some glue and cut off the excess and trim flush.
Sorry about making fun of the spelling. I am not a grammar Nazi by any standard..

Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 01:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Mortise and loose tenons

This video shows the use of both fixed and loose tenons for the base. That part starts here:
https://youtu.be/wo6-Yp_BvPM?t=653

Keep in mind that all the tenons or dowels must be parallel unless drilled afterwards OR you won't be able to assemble it.

A different approach, but pretty cool!

This guy uses dowels:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-16-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Dowels are easier to use, especially with longer pieces or on angled cuts, tenon's are a mite stronger. For what you've got going on, I'd go with dowels, cutting a tenon on the end of those angled pieces would be a bear

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #12 of 20 Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Dowels are easier to use, especially with longer pieces or on angled cuts, tenon's are a mite stronger. For what you've got going on, I'd go with dowels, cutting a tenon on the end of those angled pieces would be a bear
I was doing angled tenons awhile back and they're not much more difficult than a straight tenon, but you need to trim the sides correctly.
I copied this a few years ago and it's still hanging on the wall (well piece of glass on the wall).
The mortise is pretty straightforward, just trim the tenon..

Sorry, it's gotten grimy over time..perhaps I should take it down and get a better shot of it..
Chris Curl and BigEd313 like this.

Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
The tenon you have in the sketch would be a damn strong joint in a well fitted mortise. But IMO is overkill for the strength needed for its use on this project. Which you use kind of depends on what you want the final appearance to be. If you don't want any visible indications of the joinery then the M&T or loose tenons might be best, but more work. You could also hide the dowels if you have a good dowel jig. If your ok with dowels showing in the finished product or are going to paint the base, through dowels would be plenty strong.

I would probably lean more towards the through dowels, its faster/easier. If it were me I would glue and screw the joint together then once the glue sets back out the screws and re-drill through the screw holes for dowels.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at using a dowel but not through drilling, just 2-3" and installing into the upright then pressing the angle onto it. Obviously with adhesive.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I was looking at using a dowel but not through drilling, just 2-3" and installing into the upright then pressing the angle onto it. Obviously with adhesive.
Yep, just install the angle braces into the upright before the base is fastened to the upright.
BigEd313 likes this.

FrankC
post #16 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 PM
where's my table saw?

If you are gonna use non-through drilled dowels .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Yep, just install the angle braces into the upright before the base is fastened to the upright.
If you are using "stopped dowels" rather than drilling them through afterwards .....
There is an "order" of assembly as Franks suggests. AND the dowels must be located very precisely in their opposing/mating surfaces AND they must be parallel as I stated above OR you will NOT be able to assemble the dang thing. :frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #17 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you are using "stopped dowels" rather than drilling them through afterwards .....
There is an "order" of assembly as Franks suggests. AND the dowels must be located very precisely in their opposing/mating surfaces AND they must be parallel as I stated above OR you will NOT be able to assemble the dang thing. :frown2:
I had planned on using a drill press.....and the angle braces would be done by pivoting the table to match the surface ot the brace, i.e. 50 degrees, 45 degrees or whatever it needs to be.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 PM
where's my table saw?

that will be good

Quote:
I had planned on using a drill press.....and the angle braces would be done by pivoting the table to match the surface ot the brace, i.e. 50 degrees, 45 degrees or whatever it needs to be.

What I was getting at is the dowel locations have to be "mirror images" of the mating surface. No room for being off by 1/16 of an inch in any direction. I would make a small template that references off an edge. Your layout will be critical is all I was sayin'.

post #19 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It is important to dry fit it as you go, that way there is less chance of getting ahead of yourself. DAMHIK

FrankC
post #20 of 20 Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 PM

View Max Rockatanski's Photo Album My Photos
Lots of great feedback here, but I just want to say how much I like the work you have done so far. Nice project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode