Dovetails by jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wig

View Wig's Photo Album My Photos
Dovetails by jig

I have a P-C 4216 dovetail jig that has been set up according to the manual and multiple youtube videos. When I cut half-blind dovetails, the half pin on one side is wider than the half pin on the other side--by about .030 to .050". If I cut the joint on the right side of the jig, the difference is almost nil. Anybody have any ideas why this would occur? I'm ready to pull out my remaining hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2020, 06:44 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same jig set up.

it is absolutely required to first make a cut in each finger/tail/pin, then come back thru and "chase" the previous cuts.

what I suspect is a slight deflection due to left/right "handedness" of bit rotation (ala 'climbing cut') - no, it does not matter how careful you think you are being - my experience says: cut, then cut again.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Wig

Thanks for the tip. I'll try cutting through again on the next one. I did find out my router base plate was not centered. I re-centered it and it got better but still not perfect. I always keep the router oriented the same way and don't feed it too fast.
I got out an ancient craftsman jig that only cuts half-blinds that a friend gave me. The price tag on the box was $29.95. It is all plastic and cuts 1/2" dovetails on 7/8" centers. The first two I cut were absolutely perfect. Go figure.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2020, 03:56 AM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know the specific jig,but I have had the same experience with a router base guide bush not being concentric with the spindle.My dovetail jig is similar and very sensitive to the depth at which the tool is set.It also took a fair amount of fine tuning to get the stops at the sides set absolutely accurately.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
the plates I use have precisely drilled holes that fit my router model exactly - they have essentially no play/slop.
there is a cone device that is very handy for centering (many manufactures - sample here):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Ro...1151/205412357

as to depth adjustments, I gave up on the cute little plastic tipped buttons.
stand router bit up, stack the waste piece + template on the plate, adjust depth so it _just_ catches on a straight edge.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Wig

I'll definitely give this technique a try. I'll let you know if that eliminates the operator error.
Thanks,
Dave
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2020, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Wig

TomCT2, thanks. I had a devil of a time setting the depth so I started using a centering tool to mark the center of the workpiece and use a process like you describe to set router depth. The depth stops on the jig are useless, imho.
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode