dovetail fit help please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

View larry0846's Photo Album My Photos
dovetail fit help please

appreciate your help --

cut the through dovetails using a porter cable dovetail tool -- the fit is very tight -- to get the 2 pieces you see together -- i did a lirttle careful sanding on both the tails and pins -- and gently assisted the fit with a rubber mallet -- then wondered if that was too tight a fit -- that might cause issues later -- wood is walnut -- very dry -- i processed it from rough lumber -- should i sand more to make the fit easier ? can you use paraffin or other lubricant to ?

many thanks -- appreciate your insights and suggestions --
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	99573  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00002.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	99574  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Looks fine to me
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
The depth of cut look a little low to me, but thats subjective. The joint seems fine looking at it, but it really depends on how you're putting it together. If you're going for a clueless joint, a tighter fit is better, but adding glue will cause the wood to expand and could cause issues with a tighter fitting joint. The general rule of thumb I've heard for joint tightness is fitting the joint dry should be able to be done by hand. If you have to hammer it together dry it likely won't fit with glue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0846 View Post
appreciate your help --

cut the through dovetails using a porter cable dovetail tool -- the fit is very tight -- to get the 2 pieces you see together -- i did a lirttle careful sanding on both the tails and pins -- and gently assisted the fit with a rubber mallet -- then wondered if that was too tight a fit -- that might cause issues later -- wood is walnut -- very dry -- i processed it from rough lumber -- should i sand more to make the fit easier ? can you use paraffin or other lubricant to ?

many thanks -- appreciate your insights and suggestions --
i do dovetales and pins all the time, i use the gifkin's jig, a perfet fit, if you have to sand any tham the fit is to tight, check the setting's and do some testing for a better fit, you should be able to dry fit even than it should fit tight but you should be able to wiggle it apart. mine i have it set so that when i glue i have to pound some on the wood to get it togother than clamp to pull it tight, on your's look's like the dovetale is a little short, they should be a little proud, or sticking out past the pin cut, so whan you sand it come's out like one piece of wood, on my jig the dovetales and pin's are cut on one set up no need to change any thing, that way all come's out perfect every time , do a test tell they fit like i describe
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies --

the bit depth was set to 1/32" deeper than the jig called for so you would be able to sand back flat after assembly -- i may not have gotten that right -- i had to remove several of the pins in the side pieces to marry up with the tail pattern -- i took them off with a jig saw and sanded any nubs flat -- i was planning on just sanding the assembled joints flat -- whatever it took --

i have only put together the one in the picture -- decided i needed some help before i went farther -- to fess up -- i made a big mistake cutting the tails the first time and had to re-make the front and back pieces -- so i am very anxious / hesitant / snakebit -- really, really want to get this box assembled without screwing it up again --

the joint is so tight -- i wasn't thinking about any glue -- once the box is put together -- it will be screwed down to the top of the drawer assy --

i guess my plan is to carefully sand both the tails and pins wrapping 150 paper around a flat tongue depressor like piece and try to loosen up the fit so it is between sliding on by hand and a 6" mallet swing -- and not glue --

thoughts ? many thanks --
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

and perhaps i should add that the box pieces are put together with blind tongue / groove (1/4"w x 3/8"d) --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode