Dovetail Disaster - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

View jimmomech8's Photo Album My Photos
Dovetail Disaster

This is the first time I tried dovetails on 1/2" plywood and so far it really sucks! No matter what speeds or direction I try it is pulling the veneer off the plywood. The bit has only done maybe a dozen poplar and soft pine drawers with no problems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmomech8 View Post
This is the first time I tried dovetails on 1/2" plywood and so far it really sucks! No matter what speeds or direction I try it is pulling the veneer off the plywood. The bit has only done maybe a dozen poplar and soft pine drawers with no problems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Not trying to be funny here but honestly my suggestion would be to not try to do dovetails on plywood......baltic birch maybe but that's about it.......it's just really hard to get it to not tear out..........can you use any other material or are you limited to plywood for some reason on your project?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Not to be too much of a smarta$$, but my first suggestion would be "don't try to make dovetails in plywood." EDIT: Looks like Tom beat me to that suggestion.

But if you absolutely positively have to give it a try, then (and I'm assuming by referring to the bit that you're using a router) try some tape over the wood before hitting it with the router, or if your jig will accommodate it, try sandwiching it between two pieces of sacrificial wood.

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

View jimmomech8's Photo Album My Photos
I kinda thought that might be the problem but never tried plywood before. I guess it's a trip to the HD and get some poplar and plane it down to 1/2". Have to have 1/2" because these are drawer boxes that mount on 3/4" pullout shelves. Wish someone had 1/2" stuff. I hate lugging out the planer for just that little bit. Thanks for the quick response and learning experience.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

View 6SpeedSD's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure what lengths you need, but Lowes around here has Oak, Pine, and Poplar boards in 1/2" thicknesses. 2ft and 4ft lengths. I use them alot for drawer construction. Might give them a try if you have a Lowes store locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6SpeedSD For This Useful Post:
jimmomech8 (01-17-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode