Do I have a wood movement problem? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Larry Schweitzer

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

View AnthonyPants's Photo Album My Photos
Do I have a wood movement problem?

Would it be a problem if I permanently attach the cross rail (for alack of a better term) that the arrow is pointing to in the picture or would that result in a restriction of the wood movement? In the long miter joint in the back I took precautions for wood movement, I have a long dado with a floating tenon and its clamped together with joint connectors, no glue at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	countertop.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	284753  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
IF it were mine I'd make the ends of the additional cross piece square and miter 45* the main top where it meets and use the joint connectors with a spline as you did the back. This to me does 2 things....1st it makes all angles front and back be alike (align)( more eye pleasing) and 2nd IMO the joints will move approx. the same (not exactly to to the grain).

Those appear to be cherry???? What finish are you going with??? BE SURE to get a minimum of one good coat (if not 2) on the bottom side due to warpage from moisture being unbalanced. allow the top to "float" a little for movement...IT WILL MOVE!!!! It's wood and alive!!!

PLEASE keep us posted with progress pics!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think it's close enough to end to end to glue a cross piece there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Its Mahogany. I'm using waterlox as the finish. Doing the same thing as my island I built a few months ago. Not the hardest wood for countertops so I did 4 or 5 coats, with 2 or 3 on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	island.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	284817  

post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I think it's close enough to end to end to glue a cross piece there.
I was thinking that too, plus I am doing a wainscoting backsplash, and that combined with the trim I'm going to put, I'll have atleast a 1/2" of free space between the counter and the wall, which I feel like is more than enough for expansion even if the cross piece forces the countertops to only expand back.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
The part by the arrow will be less of a problem than the very wide miter at the top. It will be OK as long as you don't subject it to wide fluctuations in humidity. But since wood moves the most across the gran you can easily see what would happen if it moves. Either the tip will open or the inside opening will open. No amount of connecting will stop it. Wide miters often have problems.
Tennessee Tim likes this.

Tags
wood movement help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode