Connecting different thickness w/biscuts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

View Ronnie1a's Photo Album My Photos
Connecting different thickness w/biscuts

I want to build a frame using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 wood and, using biscuts, place a 3/4 plywood panel on the inside of the frame. I don't know how to cut the holes for the biscuts so the plywood will end up centered on the 1 1/2 wood frame. Is there any kind of "sure thing" measurement other than just eyeballing what looks like the center for my biscut cuts? There should be 5/8 between the plywood and edge of the frame on front and back.

Last edited by Ronnie1a; 12-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie1a View Post
I want to build a frame using 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 wood and, using biscuts, place a 3/4 plywood panel on the inside of the frame. I don't know how to cut the holes for the biscuts so the plywood will end up centered on the 1 1/2 wood frame. Is there any kind of "sure thing" measurement other than just eyeballing what looks like the center for my biscut cuts? There should be 5/8 between the plywood and edge of the frame on front and back.

I wouldn't use biscuits. I would dado/groove the frame 3/4" by whatever depth you want, and insert the plywood when the frame is assembled. You would have 3/8" from the edges, not 5/8".

post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't go biscuits either... I agree with cabinetman above... but if you must go with biscuits for some reason it doesn't have to be centered as long as you mark the face side and make all cuts with the plate jointer from the same side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use biscuits either just as the other posts above stated. The center panel will need to be able to float as the wood expands and contracts with changing air moisture conditions. If you decide to use biscuits and glue, and end up with a solid glued up panel, there isn't any guarantee that the panel won't end up with gaps in the future, or possibly warp.

I agree with Cabinet Man believe a dado is the way to go.

Mike Darr
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

View Ronnie1a's Photo Album My Photos
I will change my plans

Thank you for the advise. I will follow it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode