Connecting desk and shelf? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

View HaNd_SoLo's Photo Album My Photos
Question Connecting desk and shelf?

I'm in the process of designing a desk with attached shelf. The desk is 30" x 30" x 60" and the shelf is 12" deep and 42" tall from the top of the desk. In order to get it through many doors, it'll have to break down, but not just the shelf from the desk, the top of the desk will have to be split. My idea is to build the shelf from the floor up to 72" tall and 12" deep and build the desk 18" deep and 30" tall and put them together somehow.

Here's a couple of pictures I worked up in SketchList3d to show what I'm talking about in case I didn't describe it clearly.

Connecting desk and shelf?-desk.jpg
Connecting desk and shelf?-shelf.jpg
Connecting desk and shelf?-desk-shelf.jpg

My question is how to attach the desk to the shelf in such a manner that it can be taken apart and put back together (no glue or wood screws)?

I was originally going to lap joint and cross-pin (right term?) every piece that comes together: the top, both sides, both inner pedestal pieces and any solidly attached shelves. All materials will be 3/4" plywood. This would, however, leave both a bunch of 3/8" stubs begging to be broken off while moving and the hardware sticking through the desk top.

I ran across this hardware which would allow just butt joining it. Comments or suggestions?

Thanks.
Davin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Should I have posted this in the design forum instead of here? I posted here because I was asking specifically about how to join the shelf and desk. If this is the wrong forum, could an admin move it, please?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
I would re-think how hard it would be to move through doors with the desk top mountet to 42" tall by 60" long shelving.

I would then reconsider the use of 4 wood screws to hook the two together.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

I would build separate desk pedestals, and a loose desk top. the top would be mounted to the pedestals with screws from beneath.

The shelving above I would make in three separate assembled units that get fastened together once placed on the desk top. The fronts could have face frames, that the center unit shares with the outer units. If necessary, the units could be fastened together with loose dowels from the face frame into the leading edges of the center cabinet.

The bottom of the shelving units can be mounted to the desk top with loose dowels aligned to position the sides of the cabinets. Just drill corresponding holes and insert dowels to set up. Or if backs are installed they could be left long and screwed to the back edge of the countertop. It's not always possible to configure a multiple setup with all loose parts.

I would also recommend rabbeting in a 1/4" back to all three units.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Very good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
The shelving above I would make in three separate assembled units that get fastened together once placed on the desk top. The fronts could have face frames, that the center unit shares with the outer units. If necessary, the units could be fastened together with loose dowels from the face frame into the leading edges of the center cabinet.
I'm actually going to go one step further with this. The center shelf will be the full height of 68" and the desktop will be slotted for the shelf sides to go through. The side shelves will sit on the desktop and attach to both the desktop and the center shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I would also recommend rabbeting in a 1/4" back to all three units.
I intended to do that with the shelf but forgot to mention it because I haven't figured out how to make the program do it yet. It'll work better with all the pieces having backs now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode