Client Dilemma -- Veneer vs. Stained Particle Board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: How to bond veneer to particle board that has been predisposed to an oil-based stain
Silicone Glue 0 0%
CA Glue 0 0%
Urethane (Gorilla) Glue 0 0%
X-Acto Knife: Cross-cut bonding surface 0 0%
Replace particle board 3 100.00%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Finish Carpentry Spc.

View WarwickCrombie's Photo Album My Photos
Client Dilemma -- Veneer vs. Stained Particle Board

How do you securely bond veneer to particle board that has been predisposed to an oil-based stain?

*Final results of the product put craftsmanship reputation at stake. Advanced- to guru-level of experience responses ONLY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Not enough info. How much particle board are you talking about and is it installed somewhere?. Also how long ago was it stained?. If it's not very much particle board and not much trouble to change it, I think it would be cheap insurance to change it out. Going over particleboard with cured stain on it I would use a flamable liquid contact cement. Going over new particle board I would use a resin glue.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Finish Carpentry Spc.

How much particle board are you talking about and is it installed somewhere?.These are manican stands for a large merchandising distributor. Slabs of PB are approximately 3/4" x 24" x 18". The bottom of the stands were originally ordered with no veneer. Necessarily, while staining them, the bare PB on the bottom came into contact with the stain. The client has received half of the order (hundreds of stands) and has now altered their order to adding veneer to the bottom. In consideration of the fact that these are hundreds of slabs, and that replacing them would be costly, I'd like to find an alternative as opposed to reconstruction and inevitably increasing the customers quote.

"Time is money."

Also how long ago was it stained?. anywhere from three days to three weeks prior to today (Feb. 15, 2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickCrombie View Post
How much particle board are you talking about and is it installed somewhere?.These are manican stands for a large merchandising distributor. Slabs of PB are approximately 3/4" x 24" x 18". The bottom of the stands were originally ordered with no veneer. Necessarily, while staining them, the bare PB on the bottom came into contact with the stain. The client has received half of the order (hundreds of stands) and has now altered their order to adding veneer to the bottom. In consideration of the fact that these are hundreds of slabs, and that replacing them would be costly, I'd like to find an alternative as opposed to reconstruction and inevitably increasing the customers quote.

"Time is money."

Also how long ago was it stained?. anywhere from three days to three weeks prior to today (Feb. 15, 2013)
The combination of the stain and the quantity I would set up a spray rig with a pressure pot and use a flamable liquid contact cement. If the bases were keep reasonably warm the stain should cure in a week to where it wouldn't interfere with the adhesion of the cement. The only thing in stain that would be a problem is the linseed oil and if you can't smell it on the wood it should be cured.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (02-15-2013)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickCrombie View Post
Necessarily, while staining them, the bare PB on the bottom came into contact with the stain.
What does that mean...came into contact with...or...predisposed to stain?
Ifyou are planning to veneer the particleboard, what type of veneer will you be using?

post #6 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Finish Carpentry Spc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The combination of the stain and the quantity I would set up a spray rig with a pressure pot and use a flamable liquid contact cement. If the bases were keep reasonably warm the stain should cure in a week to where it wouldn't interfere with the adhesion of the cement. The only thing in stain that would be a problem is the linseed oil and if you can't smell it on the wood it should be cured.
Thank you, Steve.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Finish Carpentry Spc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
What does that mean...came into contact with?

If you are planning to veneer the particleboard, what type of veneer will you be using?
The stain was applied to a surface that it should not have been applied to. I've found the best method to apply a heavily pigmented stain is through wiping; when you use a cotton cloth, it's difficult to keep the rag from dragging onto other surfaces.

It is a thick oak veneer.

Tags
bonding veneer, oil-based, particle board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode