Clamps with screws? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

View jtech1's Photo Album My Photos
Clamps with screws?

I am assembling my first base cabinet. 3/4 birch plywood. Bottom and fixed shelf will be in dados, glued and screwed (spax) from outside (sides will be hidden). My question is... I assume since I am screwing things together, I will not need to clamp it as well? And if I did, the clamps would really not do much because they would be fighting against the screw threads... am I on the right track here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Clamping is usually used when holding pieces together with pin nails and/or glue. Consider trying pocket hole screws (Kreg system) which is quick, strong, and gluing/clamps are an option. Be safe.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

View jtech1's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks. I am going to use pocket holes for the face frame. But, since the sides are hidden, it just seems faster to screw from the outside. But I guess my question is really the same... if I were using glue and pocket screws for the pieces, would it need clamping also? Or is clamping only used with just glue, or glue and pins, which do not already pull the pieces together on their own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 AM

View MLayden's Photo Album My Photos
No need for the clamps imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The screws are doing the same as clamps would be doing, not necessary.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
If using wood screws to hold pieces together, clamps are not required, but do consider pre-drilling screw holes, in hard wood to prevent screw breakage, and in soft woods to prevent wood splitting. Be safe.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech1 View Post
I am assembling my first base cabinet. 3/4 birch plywood. Bottom and fixed shelf will be in dados, glued and screwed (spax) from outside (sides will be hidden). My question is... I assume since I am screwing things together, I will not need to clamp it as well? And if I did, the clamps would really not do much because they would be fighting against the screw threads... am I on the right track here?
It sounds like you are building cabinets very similar to the way I have been doing it. When the sides won't be seen, I use the spax screws and glue in the dadoes. Makes a good joint.

And I also use pocket screws to construct the face frames, and I drill holes along the sides, top and bottom so I can screw the face frame on.

I have used a clamp or two to hold the pieces together when the cabinets are fairly long. I had several that were 40+ inches long but the clamps were mostly just helpers.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM

View hts1965's Photo Album My Photos
Screws will work without clamps provided there are none of the threads within the first piece you go through. If the pieces are not tight to begin with, the threads will lock the pieces where they are. Clamping first to get the joint tight is best. After the screws are in you can take them off. If you predrill, make sure the hole in your side piece is the same diameter as the threads to allow the screw to pull the pieces together. This is more important with hard wood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode