Clamping Joints Separately vs. Individually - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

View rdeadly's Photo Album My Photos
Clamping Joints Separately vs. Individually

Quick question about clamping and glue up...I've got the sides of the apron glued up to the legs but I'm wondering how I should go about assembling the rest of the table. The thing that's throwing me off is the drawer at the front and how I'll be able to align the front faces perfectly.

Here's a photo of the pieces laid out:

Should I try to glue and clamp the enitre thing all at once or should I start with gluing piece F to the legs and then move to A and D followed by C and E? How do I make sure that piece B (front of the drawer) lines up with A and C?

Thanks and sorry if this is confusing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would not do the assembly the way you have it laid out. I would glue up the skirt all of the way around the table and then lay in the sides of the drawer (the cross pieces). After that has all dried and is one solid piece I would cut out the piece where the drawer will be mounted.

Actually I would even leave at least a 1" section of the skirt over the drawer.

George
post #3 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
lining up the front pieces

I would use an additional piece of straight material, wood, aluminum angle to line up and clamp the pieces on either side of the center. A long bar clamp from side to side and several smaller clamps for the two pieces A and C. to get the gap on either side of the drawer correct, make some 1/8" spacers and slip them on either side before applying pressure on the long clamp.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would assembly the lettered parts you have together first and then attach the ends. After you get it together I would recommend adding corner blocks where the skirts fasten to the legs. It will also give you a place to put screws into the top.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
My first question... is "G" and "H" already glued in place?
Clamping Joints Separately vs. Individually-desk-frame.jpg

post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Based on the responses, my life would have beenade WAY easier if I had waited and cut the drawer after assembling the skirt. Would there be any benefit to gluing these pieces back together.... That way I'll have a solid structure to work from?

Sigh.

Learning through mistakes is the best way to learn but man it's frustrating!
post #7 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey cabinet man ! Yeah they've been glued.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeadly View Post
Hey cabinet man ! Yeah they've been glued.
Are all the other connecting pieces the same height, and referenced on the legs the same distance from the top?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

yeah, there's an inch from the top of the skirt to the top of the leg. Something similar to this pic:

post #10 of 12 Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Old School

Assuming that "G" and "H" are the only stretchers that are glued to the legs, I would start with placing a 1" thick spacer under all the cross pieces and not the legs. IOW, have all the parts level.

Have a good framing square and a tape measure handy. Make sure "D" and "E" are the exact length, as well as "A" and "C". Figure the length of the distance for "F", and see if the combination of "A" "B" and "C", including the side gaps for "B", equal "F".

If you haven't done it yet, test fit all the parts and make sure all the dowels have a slip fit, and there aren't any hangups due to a long dowel, or a crocked one. Dowels and holes should be well aligned and parallel.

I would first glue "D" and "E" to "F". Then glue "F" to the legs. You will have to do a bit of squirming and some slight gentle twisting to get the other sections to seat. Glue "A"to "D", and "C" to "F". Then gently open the frame just enough to get "A" and "C" into the legs. I would use a bar clamp to press the parts together.

Use the framing square to check all the corners for square. Use the tape measure to check corner to corner equality in length measures. When done, install corner braces like below picture that you would have already made up and have them ready for installation.
Name:  110224-03.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  32.2 KB

post #11 of 12 Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thorough response. I'm assuming that based on your response I should be okay! Checked all my measurements based on your email and they're all correct. Do you think that it would be worth glueing the edges of the three front faces (A,B,C) together and using that build a standard apron (without the cross pieces (D,E)? Then place the cross pieces in next?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeadly View Post
Thanks for the thorough response. I'm assuming that based on your response I should be okay! Checked all my measurements based on your email and they're all correct. Do you think that it would be worth glueing the edges of the three front faces (A,B,C) together and using that build a standard apron (without the cross pieces (D,E)? Then place the cross pieces in next?
My thoughts are that if the distance the leg assemblies that place where "A" and "C" are, when all glued together, "A", and "C" will (or should be) in a straight line, and "D" and "E" will be parallel. "B", being a drawer front can be shimmed to get the side gaps equal once the top is installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode