Clamp question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 02-08-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

View raqumup's Photo Album My Photos
Clamp question?

In your guys opinion, I found on Amazon bar clamp ends by Irwin, they sell them in 1/2 and 3/4 inch sizes. Is there a noticeable difference in either one, does the 1/2 have enough flex for a 6 foot clamp to be an issue? Does anyone have the Irwin ones and does not like them, should I get grizzly or pony? At this point I am jointing boards to make a 27" shelf. Figured I may as well go ahead and get the 6 foot pipe, trying to save money where I can. Any advice you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I sometimes bend 3/4" clamps especially if galvanized pipe is used. I wouldn't want to go smaller. I've never used the grizzly or Irwin. It's the pipe that matters. The black pipe has a thicker wall than water pipe.
sawdust703 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Old Skhool (02-20-2016), OnealWoodworking (02-16-2016)
post #3 of 44 Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I only use 3/4" but ....

You don't need to bend the pipes to get good clamping pressure, so 1/2" should work. I just started with 3/4" and stayed with it.

a discussion on WWT:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/cl...-print/index2/

I knew Leo had said he used only 1/2" clamps:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/p...s-36440-print/
Leo G's clamp rack shows a lot of 1/2" Ponys unless I'm mistaken:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

The clamps Leo uses in use:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-08-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have 1/2" and have never had a bending problem when using 6' or 7'. They are lighter than 3/4" and therefore easier to maneuver.

The secret of not bending a clamp is to not over tighten. This not only bends clamps, it does not provide the best joint.

George
post #5 of 44 Old 02-15-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I went with 3/4. Figured I'm covered if I need to go really long. Thanks for all the advice.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Using mostly 1/2" black pipe for many of my projects seems to "hold" things together OK. For a variety of lengths, I have 2', 3', & 4' threaded pipe pieces to attach together with connectors giving extra long pipe lengths when needed. Be safe.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Only time I've bent a 1/2" pipe was when I was misusing it. I bent a 3/4" once using it as a pry bar...

I like the 1/2" clamps better(weight/size), but seem to have more 3/4". I like the handles on the 3/4" better.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-18-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

I just got the clamps from jet.com. Had a 25% off coupon. Got 6 3/4" clamps for $81. Looked everywhere and could not beat that. Only chance I had to beat it would be if someone was selling theirs on Craigslist or something like that but found none. I bought the pads from pony. $1.29 each. Just need to go buy the pipe. Home Depot and lowes have 10' for just under $14. Going to buy 2 and have them cut into 3 sections each. Will do what I need for now. Great part is if I need longer just have to buy pipe. So far very happy with them. Thanks for the replies guys. All good advise, you can never have too much good advise, just have make the final decision on your own based on experience of others and personal experience.
post #9 of 44 Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
If your bending a 1/2" pipe while clamping you better rethink your joints.You're doing something wrong.
rcp612 likes this.
post #10 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Got my clamps and made a rack today. Thanks for all the advise. So far I am very happy with them. Clamp question?-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1456016991.581303.jpg
post #11 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 08:32 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like Jorgenson 3/4" with black pipe. Good choice. Try not to be tempted by sale prices on other brands now that you have chosen. Each brand seems to have a different height and mismatches can create difficulties. I see they are also the same lengths. That can pay dividends as in the last Woodenthing's picture in post 3.
post #12 of 44 Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM
where's my table saw?

just to be clear ...

Those are Leo G's 1/2" pipe clamps in HIS really cool clamp storage rack. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skhool View Post
Looks like Jorgenson 3/4" with black pipe. Good choice. Try not to be tempted by sale prices on other brands now that you have chosen. Each brand seems to have a different height and mismatches can create difficulties. I see they are also the same lengths. That can pay dividends as in the last Woodenthing's picture in post 3.
not sure what you are getting at by paying dividends?
i see your point about not picking up for example irwin pipe clamps because they may line up and hold things the way i need them to because of the difference in the clamps. thats a good point and i never thought about that before. Thanks for the tip. :smile3:
post #14 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 01:26 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have 1/2" and have never had a bending problem when using 6' or 7'. They are lighter than 3/4" and therefore easier to maneuver.

The secret of not bending a clamp is to not over tighten. This not only bends clamps, it does not provide the best joint.

George
Over 8,000 posts....and you give poor clamping advise.

You can put light pressure on somethings but pipe clamps are designed for maximum pressure. If there not bending there not making the best joint possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	217593  

Attached Images

Last edited by Rebelwork; 02-21-2016 at 01:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (02-23-2016)
post #15 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqumup View Post
not sure what you are getting at by paying dividends?
i see your point about not picking up for example irwin pipe clamps because they may line up and hold things the way i need them to because of the difference in the clamps. thats a good point and i never thought about that before. Thanks for the tip. :smile3:
I think the dividends he was referring to was the fact that in that glueup the clamps are being used as legs for the top. Since th e clamps are all the same length, they all hit the ground and give good support. If 3 of your clamps were 3 footers and the 4th was a 4 footer you couldn't do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Over 8,000 posts....and you give poor clamping advise.

You can put light pressure on somethings but pipe clamps are designed for maximum pressure. If there not bending there not making the best joint possible.
That seems like much worse advise. If your clamps are bending during a glueup, your joints need work, and if the joints are good and you're bending clamps anyway, you're squeezing all the glue out from the joint and making the joint worse

Don't believe me? This guy put numbers to it:
https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue_methods.html

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #16 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 04:34 PM

"if the joints are good and you're bending clamps anyway, you're squeezing all the glue out from the joint and making the joint worse"
Attached Images

Jig_saw likes this.
post #17 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
There are a few differences between the 1/2" and 3/4" clamps. Obviously the pipe diameter. But the head of a 1/2" clamp has a sliding handle, the head of the 3/4" clamp has a fixed handle. This can make a big difference in close quarters.

The 1/2" clamp seems to be best suited to 3/4"-1" thick material. The 3/4" clamps best suited for 1" to 1 1/2" material.

Since most of the material I glue up is 13/16" the 1/2" works well for me. If you need to put a lot of pressure on a clamp then you can balance it with another clamp on the top of the project. With equal pressure your project stays flat.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #18 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 PM
where's my table saw?

How about an explanation of this set up? Only 3 clamps on that large a piece doesn't make sense to me....?

post #19 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like what ever it is they are gluing together is only 2 sections. So the normal stiffness of the material is probably good enough for the 3 clamp system. I would have used 6

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #20 of 44 Old 02-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
How about an explanation of this set up? Only 3 clamps on that large a piece doesn't make sense to me....?
There is originally 5 -7 clamps to start. After 2-3 days excessive clamps are removed but because of the thickness(5.25) the glue can still be wet in the dowel sockets and some clamps remain till it hits the planer and off to finishing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	217761  

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	217769  

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	217777  

Name:	lam fin.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	217785  

Toolman50, Jig_saw and rinn69 like this.

Last edited by Rebelwork; 02-21-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode