Cherry Glue Up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

View wlofton's Photo Album My Photos
Cherry Glue Up

I am building a solid cherry wine rack for my sister as a wedding gift and don't want to buy a piece of cherry plywood to use for the back. I have 5/4 planks of cherry and thought I would saw them into 1/4" thk strips and glue them together to make the back to 1/4 x 24 x 32. What are some of the pitfalls I have ahead of me to do this OR do I just call it a day and order the plywood?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
WL,
Not saying it can't be done, but with a glued up panel that size and only a quarter inch thick, I don't think it will end up being too flat or staying flat, even if you alternate the grain direction on the planks. Piece of cherry plywood would probably work better. Find a local mill shop for that.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Make it shiplap or T&G. It will add a little something to the design and it will be able to move with the seasonal changes and still be stable. Just staple it on the back of the cabinet, or use screws.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I wondered how much movement I would get. Another woodworking buddy told me cherry is famous for a lot of movement with the seasons. I think I will spring for the plywood....Rockler has the exact size for like $20. Besides, having the piece of mind that it'll not move or cause me to have to rework it is well worth the money.

Thanks again guys! I know I came to the right place for advice!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 AM

View dining sets's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down

Thanks.......for good post .
post #6 of 12 Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Make it shiplap or T&G. It will add a little something to the design and it will be able to move with the seasonal changes and still be stable. Just staple it on the back of the cabinet, or use screws.

I agree with Leo, it is a traditional way of doing large backs and adds quite a bit of pizazz.

Here is a corner cabinet I did with 3/4"x 2-1/4" V-groove ship lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cdor cab 3 011.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	24083  

Attached Images

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #7 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys!

Nice work on that cabinet! I'm still working my way up to novice, someday I will get there.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlofton View Post
I wondered how much movement I would get. Another woodworking buddy told me cherry is famous for a lot of movement with the seasons.
Cherry's shrinkage is about 7% tangentially and 3% radially or quartersawn. Itís somewhere in the middle between stable and not so stable.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM

View cramer's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to cramer
I would definitely go for the ship lap. its not just good practise,, its looks good as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I also like this idea. I think it will add to the looks.

George
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
WL,
Not saying it can't be done, but with a glued up panel that size and only a quarter inch thick, I don't think it will end up being too flat or staying flat, even if you alternate the grain direction on the planks. Piece of cherry plywood would probably work better. Find a local mill shop for that.
Mike Hawkins

So I went ahead and got the cherry plywood for the back panel but to my amazement it it's nowhere near the color of the cherry boards I already have. So do I just stain to match?

The shiplap looks great but I don't have quite enough wood for that.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
Is the plywood darker or lighter than what you have? Cherry will darken with exposure to sunlight and air. If the cherry plywood has been kicking around for a while it might be darker, or if it has been stored under other sheets it will be lighter. Similarly, freshly machined wood will be lighter, but will darken with age. Stick the lighter piece in the sun for a few hours. Do it in increments until it darkens enough. Youíll be surprised how effective this is. You might have more luck with this than staining, and might avoid differential darkening later - the idea is to get the pieces similar before you stain if is possible. Obviously, if the difference is great, the sun trick may not be effective. For non-believers of how effective this can be, take a scrap piece of cherry and place some opaque tape on a small section, then put it in the sun. Remove the tape and you will see the difference after even a few hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode