Can someone advise about any needed supports? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

View Daniellei30's Photo Album My Photos
Can someone advise about any needed supports?

I work from home a lot and recently my 15 year old son and I moved in with my ailing parents to help them so I find I spend a lot of time in my room. Iíve tried various means to work in my small space but itís not comfortable. I saw a rollling over the bed table and itís the perfect idea. I have the measurements I need, I have purchased wood, and other sundries but I was wondering if I should use the metal 90 degree joiners at each corner to join the sides to the top and if it needs any other support system? (Remembering it needs to roll up and down over my bed with room for my legs under it). I also bought locking casters to keep it from moving while I work. I am attaching a photo of one I found online that is the closest to the one I plan on attempting to make for reference. I am also using inexpensive standard 1Ēx12Ēx6í boards with 1Ēx4Ēx6í boards for the back (My son teases that I will dump stuff off the end without something there!).

(The ending measurements for the basic desk will be 1Ēx12Ēx34Ē with 2Ē casters for each side support and the top will be 1Ēx12Ē 5.5í)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 32C0E2D1-CB21-4B93-8536-5D331AEC73C6.jpeg (87.1 KB, 179 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As long as the 1x4 back splash was glued to the top it should be alright as shown. The only thing I didn't like was seeing the screw holes in the back. I would have rabbeted the ends and glued the end pieces on instead. At least put some screw hole plugs in it.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
My comments ....

Hows' you gonna lock them casters when you are in the bed?

This unit looks too tall to be comfortable to work at. A tilting work surface with a ledge at the bottom would hold you books and paper at a more convenient angle than dead flat... just my opinion.
The Vari-desk concept that has and adjustable height flat working surface is interesting for this unit. A front hinged panel that can either be tilted or lay flat would also work. DO NOT water the plants while laying in the bed.

It's a good lookin' table/work surface in my opinion, very contemporary. I wouldn't add end caps. I would want a back rail, however. There will be a lot of torque on the joints, unless the casters roll easily, but that creates the issue that it rolls too easily. The larger the wheels, the easier it will roll. You might look into a bicycle hand brake type of wheel lock, OR wheel chair wheel locks. You may not need them at all, so I'd try it without first.

If you pull the bed away from the wall the thickness of the table it could store at the head of the bed. The space could be used for bedding storage and whatever. This would make changing the bedding easier and would clean up the overall look, when the table is not in use.

Nylon sliding gliding furniture pads would work, rather than wheels. If you didn't want to have the bedding hang down real far, you could make rials that attach to the bed rails that the unit slides on, and eliminate the wheels, casters or pads. This would increase the expense however. I'm just spit ballin' ideas out for Ya.

My mom and I shared many an apartment when we were poor and I was in my teens, so I understand your situation. I slept in the top bunk in one apartment where there was only one bedroom. I never knew any different, so it wasn't an issue. Now, my bedroom, closets and bath is as large as the entire apartment was. I had a bed up on 4 x 4 posts with a table saw, drill press and welding tanks underneath in one apartment. I had to change my own bedding in that unit.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-17-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

This is just an example I found of the concept. I was going to countersink the screws and fill it in with putty. My concern is someone asked me about the table torquing without any supports.....
post #5 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

First, great point about the casters! From one side of the bed I can reach down and lock/ unlock one - but probably a pain. These are just 2Ēcasters and they will be on carpet - hopefully even locking one side would be better than nothing. I saw someone who had a similar desk on basically a closet rail but I donít want that.

I like your suggestion about it being too straight - I can see that. I had purchased a computer table for your lap (tray) and it could be adjusted to angle my laptop but every time I moved my laptop would fall off!! I also wanted to keep a serving tray on it to hold drinks or other things so I feel like itís either flat and I can put all on it or angled and itís better for work ó Iím sure thereís a great way to make it a bit of both but I donít feel I have that level of craftsmanship or time.

The bedroom is pretty full and the bed had a large pre-existing headboard or else I would prefer the idea of using as a headboard as well.

Iím limited on time and was hoping the simple-ish design would be quick. The materials were 1/4 the cost of the ones Iíve seen online so i think itís worth a try.

I appreciate your understanding. Itís been an interesting transition from my own place to living in a smaller space with more people. Iím having to get creative to utilize my space well and find my own place here!

So if I use a similar design to the picture and I screw the legs/sides to the top in four corners with 90 degree galvanized framing fastenersó do you think that will be enough support for the desk?
post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Also....

I measured the desk to fit over the bed just enough so if I sit up and sit the way I normally do the desk is comfortable but it is no where near as tall as the example looks like!

Why did this look easy and Iím making it so complicated?! (Hate trying to do things the right way! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Hows' you gonna lock them casters when you are in the bed?

This unit looks too tall to be comfortable to work at. A tilting work surface with a ledge at the bottom would hold you books and paper at a more convenient angle than dead flat... just my opinion.
The Vari-desk concept that has and adjustable height flat working surface is interesting for this unit. A front hinged panel that can either be tilted or lay flat would also work. DO NOT water the plants while laying in the bed.

It's a good lookin' table/work surface in my opinion, very contemporary. I wouldn't add end caps. I would want a back rail, however. There will be a lot of torque on the joints, unless the casters roll easily, but that creates the issue that it rolls too easily. The larger the wheels, the easier it will roll. You might look into a bicycle hand brake type of wheel lock, OR wheel chair wheel locks. You may not need them at all, so I'd try it without first.

If you pull the bed away from the wall the thickness of the table it could store at the head of the bed. The space could be used for bedding storage and whatever. This would make changing the bedding easier and would clean up the overall look, when the table is not in use.

Nylon sliding gliding furniture pads would work, rather than wheels. If you didn't want to have the bedding hang down real far, you could make rials that attach to the bed rails that the unit slides on, and eliminate the wheels, casters or pads. This would increase the expense however. I'm just spit ballin' ideas out for Ya.

My mom and I shared many an apartment when we were poor and I was in my teens, so I understand your situation. I slept in the top bunk in one apartment where there was only one bedroom. I never knew any different, so it wasn't an issue. Now, my bedroom, closets and bath is as large as the entire apartment was. I had a bed up on 4 x 4 posts with a table saw, drill press and welding tanks underneath in one apartment. I had to change my own bedding in that unit.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
You could make a feature of the screws by using mirror screws. Put a lip on the top board so that computer does not slide off.
johnep
post #8 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
have you ever tried sitting upright in a bed for any length of time? I find it very uncomfortable. To me beds are for sleeping, not sitting.

Do you have a chair in the room? If so I would make the same type of table, but just size it to fit when you are sitting in the bed.

Where are you going to work to make this table. What type of tools do you have?

George
post #9 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
The ideas people come up with to spend the day in bed!

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
have you ever tried sitting upright in a bed for any length of time? I find it very uncomfortable. To me beds are for sleeping, not sitting.

Do you have a chair in the room? If so I would make the same type of table, but just size it to fit when you are sitting in the bed.

George

Should have said "sitting in bed."

GMc
post #11 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Brilliant!

I love the idea of creating just a lip instead of the 4" back piece! Much better idea!

I have never seen mirror screws - where can you find them (or have I just not looked hard enough?). That sounds like an interesting idea.

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep1934 View Post
You could make a feature of the screws by using mirror screws. Put a lip on the top board so that computer does not slide off.
johnep
post #12 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Good points...

First, I have unfortunately spent a good deal of time in bed before. I've had foot surgeries that left me unable to walk for months at a time - that's also when I became better at finding ways to prop myself up to function in better ways.

In a previous post I spoke with someone about the reasoning - My 15 year old son and I have moved in with my ailing parents and we have limited space. I do a lot outside of the house but much of my paperwork, etc is done at home and in my room because it is the only place where it is quiet and I can concentrate. This over the bed rolling desk became a reasonable concept so that I could find a more comfortable place to work and when i work late into the evening I can just push the entire desk to the end of the bed to sleep rather than trying to relocate all of my items.

As far as tools - I have access to a great many wood working tools. My father has a full workshop in our garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
post #13 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

??

In a previous post I spoke with someone about the reasoning for this desk....

My 15 year old son and I have moved in with my ailing parents and we have limited space. I do a lot outside of the house but much of my paperwork, etc is done at home and in my room because it is the only place where it is quiet and I can concentrate. This over the bed rolling desk became a reasonable concept so that I could find a more comfortable place to work and when I work late into the evening I can just push the entire desk to the end of the bed to sleep rather than trying to relocate all of my items.

This is not a reason to stay in bed but to find a better way to work in the small amount of space that I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
The ideas people come up with to spend the day in bed!
post #14 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-m...pack/2254j#_=p

This also available with domed heads.
Should be available from any hardware/DIY store.
johnep
post #15 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
If the floors are carpeted why not use the plastic furniture glider pads instead of casters? Casters probably won't roll very well on carpet and the gliders should stay put until you want to move it. What type of wood will you be using for the desk surface? What will be the dimensions of desk....12 inches wide? How long i.e. how wide is the bed that it will have to span?

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 08-19-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: add info

Tags
joint supports, questions, supports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode