Can I glue to a varnished piece of wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

View 240sxguy's Photo Album My Photos
Can I glue to a varnished piece of wood?

When I built my island I put a pair of braces up too high and the cooktop hit them. I have removed the braces carefully with my fien multitool and will make new ones that mount lower. I have already varnished the interior of the cabinet. Can I glue the brace to the already varnished pieces? I used two coats of poly. This brace isn't really structural but a good joint is worth the work.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
When I built my island I put a pair of braces up too high and the cooktop hit them. I have removed the braces carefully with my fien multitool and will make new ones that mount lower. I have already varnished the interior of the cabinet. Can I glue the brace to the already varnished pieces? I used two coats of poly. This brace isn't really structural but a good joint is worth the work.

Thanks!
Yellow or white glue won't stick. A two part epoxy is your best bet.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Dammit! I thought that was what you might say. Thanks, glad I asked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 AM

View Conor D's Photo Album My Photos
Good question! It's one I've often wondered about myself :-)
post #5 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, it occurred to me that the grain being sealed by the varnish likely wasn't ideal. I have some 2 part epoxy in my toolbox for just such an event now! Thanks again for the help.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think epoxy will stick well or at all to urethane so even with a roughed up mechanical joint it is not a good idea. Once urethane has set, almost nothing including urethane will stick to it. It creates an almost chemically inert plastic. that's one of it's strength and greatest weakness as a finish. Even if you could stick to it, the joint would only be as strong as the wood urethane connection.
Any seasonal moisture movement or vibration will probably separate it loose eventually.
Can you carve off the urethane in the area of the joint to make a new surface?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

It's already glued up. I did it last week. I am sure it will be fine. I used pocket screws and epoxy. It's not in an area subject to shear, so I doubt it will ever be a problem. More redundant support than anything else. I wish I had test fitted everything before finishing the interior of the cabinet. Lesson learned!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode