Can a block joint be made from individual strips? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

View Salmon_Ears's Photo Album My Photos
Can a block joint be made from individual strips?

I'm about to start a project with a simple box design that has block jointed corners just like user Archy Dave posted here:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/s...-needed-53585/

I was thinking of ways to incorporate different colors of wood and came up with this crazy idea that I wanted to run by you all. Rather than cut block joints into the ends of the boards, I was thinking of gluing individual ripped strips together to form each board, so I could mix in different color accent pieces. Now the crazy part...These strips would be staggered so that the ends would form a block joint. The strips would all be the same width, so they, in theory, should fit snug to form a perfect block joint, right?

Whatya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
A sketch would be useful.

I think your term "block joint" is the finger jointed box in the link.

It would be possible to make the sides of the box out of equal strip of wood and offset the strips to provide the fingers for the joint.

Whenever I have glued pieces together and need the pieces not to move laterally, I have needed to have stops in place to prevent the pieces from moving side to side while being clamped.

Give this a try on some test pieces cut to the desired width to determine if you need to make clamping stops.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
A sketch would be useful.

I think your term "block joint" is the finger jointed box in the link.

It would be possible to make the sides of the box out of equal strip of wood and offset the strips to provide the fingers for the joint.

Whenever I have glued pieces together and need the pieces not to move laterally, I have needed to have stops in place to prevent the pieces from moving side to side while being clamped.

Give this a try on some test pieces cut to the desired width to determine if you need to make clamping stops.
Thanks, Dave. I'm currently working on a test run now. I'll post my success/failure soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 06:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
finger joints/box joints ...

Those type of joints are very precise, not only in width but in depth. When made on a table saw or on a router table, the height and width are a "constant" and not variable. With strips, your width would be constant, but the depth or off set on the ends would be difficult to control without a jig. Another issue will be how to keep the glue out of the ends which is important because the other fingers need to fit in there precisely.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but those are the issues I see in this method. For all it's worth I hope it works because it would be a great way to make them and it would look cool. Good Luck!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Salmon_Ears (07-21-2013)
post #5 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
You wouldn't necessarily need to build each side then assemble. You could build it up layer by layer same as you do with a segmented bowl and not worry too much about the glue between the fingers getting in the way of anything.
That said a form to fit the inside and hold things square would be a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Beasley For This Useful Post:
Salmon_Ears (07-21-2013)
post #6 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
great idea Gary!

The pieces could be cut to the correct length for their position then glued in place as you work your way around. They could fly off "long" and get sanded flush afterward to get a nice outside joint.
It would be a nightmare trying to assemble all the pieces in one side and glue them at the correct offset.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Salmon_Ears (07-21-2013)
post #7 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

This is all great feedback. Thanks, all. Aligning the pieces perfectly has certainly proved difficult on the first few test runs, and the idea of building the whole piece up layer by layer on a form is a great idea!
post #8 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 04:41 PM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
If you've got a drill press with a good fence, a stop block and 1/8" bit could make alignment holes for a 1/8" dowel. Every other layer stick a finger thick spacer against the block to make the offset strip holes. As you glue them up slip them over the vertical dowel. I recommend two dowels per side. If you don't want the dowels to show then don't drill the holes all the through on the top and bottom pieces.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The pieces could be cut to the correct length for their position then glued in place as you work your way around. They could fly off "long" and get sanded flush afterward to get a nice outside joint.
It would be a nightmare trying to assemble all the pieces in one side and glue them at the correct offset.
Easily done that way:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logbox2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	75900  

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
That joint is also known as. "Box Joint". You might want to do a search on making a jig for box joints. I believe it would be easier than want you are suggesting.
Tom
post #11 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Easily done that way:
That's pretty much what I'm trying to do. Did you just stack those by hand, without a form? The pieces I'm using aren't quite that wide, so I don't think I could stack them freehand without it toppling.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Cut all the pieces with a stop block so they are all identical in length. Glue up & clamp one layer at a time, checking each glue up with a square. Takes a little time, but works out well.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode