campervan - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

View bromking's Photo Album My Photos
campervan

I'm looking to start the woodwork inside my campervan and will use marine ply where I can. I need to do some framework and am not sure what timber to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
why not use run of the mill 2X2's?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromking View Post
I'm looking to start the woodwork inside my campervan and will use marine ply where I can. I need to do some framework and am not sure what timber to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
why not use run of the mill 2X2's?
+1. Most travel trailers, and RV's use non-specific framing materials with the hopes of not getting wet. As long as the exterior is properly sealed you should have no problem using stock construction grade lumber, like Spruce, Hemlock, Fir, Pine. I would rather use lumber with very small knots.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
bromking (09-29-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
depends on a few things

If any of the "timber" will be exposed I'd use Poplar or Maple. Painted or stained? If not then Spruce or knot free pine. No knots to avoid splitting when a fastener is a direct line. Screws or nails? Some construction uses staples air driven.... Can you? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
bromking (09-29-2011)
post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Assuming the van body is sealed up, no water leaks, which is usually the case, then typical construction grade pine, fir, etc... would be fine. Just make sure you are using well dried material that is split, twist, and knot free. A LOT will depend on what "Woodwork" you are referring to, and what sort of camper van interior layout you have. Pine is great for a lot of applications, but let's be honest here, it's not the prettiest stuff if it will be exposed. So the materials decision will be roughly the same as if you were building furniture or cabinets for the home. Painted or stained / oil finished?, Raised panel cabinet doors, solid panels? flat panels? Are you trying to repair / reproduce what was once factory done, like restoring an old Volkswagen Westfalia camper van? If so then knowing the model year would be helpful as well as the materials they used changed a LOT over the years.

So give us a bit more detailed info on what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you some more detailed help... Good luck with your project!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
The Following User Says Thank You to dbhost For This Useful Post:
bromking (09-29-2011)
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

View bromking's Photo Album My Photos
campervan

Thanks for all that. I'm starting from scratch. I was able to buy an ambulance from government auction and it was gutted down to its 1" particle board floor. I have subsequently built a car port for it and a surrounding board walk. I was able to get a fibre-glasser to raise the roof, add an awning and some wind out windows; so, after 11 months, here I am ready to fit it out. Most of the timber you buy out here is either treated with more knots than a boy scout camp-out, or composite pine with all those little bits joined together. I would like to stain both the marine ply and the frame work. I may have to order timber on-line, to get some variety so need to be careful as to what type.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromking View Post
Thanks for all that. I'm starting from scratch. I was able to buy an ambulance from government auction and it was gutted down to its 1" particle board floor. I have subsequently built a car port for it and a surrounding board walk. I was able to get a fibre-glasser to raise the roof, add an awning and some wind out windows; so, after 11 months, here I am ready to fit it out. Most of the timber you buy out here is either treated with more knots than a boy scout camp-out, or composite pine with all those little bits joined together. I would like to stain both the marine ply and the frame work. I may have to order timber on-line, to get some variety so need to be careful as to what type.
Are you planning to have the woodwork inside or outside exposed? Sounds like an interesting project. Can you post photos as it stands now?

post #8 of 8 Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use treated wood inside the camper it isn't health especially when it heats up. If you want to lighten the unit up you can make the walls out of 1X2 instead of 2X2 and the cabinets and storage out of 1/4 inch plywood. If it were mine I would put 1 1/2 inch ridged styrofoam insulation in the walls and ceilings and floor if possible.

I built a little teardrop camper and I insulated it like a cooler, it was well insulated and comfortable. I use the thin t&g western cedar for the front wall and ceilings and camo plywood for the side walls. If you look in my album pictures there are a few pictures of the inside I added of the little camper.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode