Cabinet boxes??... Different ways - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View Cmac08's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet boxes??... Different ways

Ok guys I am starting on my cabinet boxes using 3/4 oak ply.... I am doing my upper cabinets first due to funds and price of plywood....I know there are many different ways to make them so let's hear it.... I plan on cutting a dado in my sides to accept my tops and bottoms and a rabbet in the back to accept my backs.... Then pocket screws and glue to accept my face frames.... I am using my dado set on TS for the dados but I see a lot of people using their router table for cutting these.... Pros&cons of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
To save a little bit of money and weight try 1/2 inch ply instead and it will still be plenty strong enough. Glue and pocket screws might be a little over kill so maybe just one of them. I've used either or in the past and pocket screws are much quicker to use.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
The Following User Says Thank You to Paarker For This Useful Post:
CaptainMarvel (10-31-2013)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac08 View Post
Ok guys I am starting on my cabinet boxes using 3/4 oak ply.... I am doing my upper cabinets first due to funds and price of plywood....I know there are many different ways to make them so let's hear it.... I plan on cutting a dado in my sides to accept my tops and bottoms and a rabbet in the back to accept my backs.... Then pocket screws and glue to accept my face frames.... I am using my dado set on TS for the dados but I see a lot of people using their router table for cutting these.... Pros&cons of this?
For the sides (ends) and back, would be rabbets, not dadoes. You could make them frameless and save the time and material of not using face frames. If you use a face frame, you can just glue and clamp them on. No pocket screws are needed.

For doing rabbets and dadoes, you might find it easier, and faster using a handheld router, and making your own jig...similar to this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM

View clpead's Photo Album My Photos
I like this one too, I haven't made it yet but plan too. It is an exact width dado jig. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...idth-dado-jig/

Aaron Davies
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
It sure seems to me the TS is quite a bit quicker than a router for rabbets and dados, and dado sets seem to cut more wood than a router bit before needing sharpening. I was wondering about your plywood, you could use a good quality birch or maple for the boxes, maybe save some money? You would also have to treat any exposed ends, but there won't be many of them.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
with the popularity and potential of under cabinet lighting, i recess the bottom dado's 1 1/2" to hide the lights. I use the heat activated (iron) veneer tape to cover the exposed bottom plywood edge. i nailed and glued my face frames on for years, but biscuit/glue them now to eliminate nail fills on the faces. have a kreg just haven't tried it there yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode