Broken Finger joint/box joint issue? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

View Woodworking Beginner's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Broken Finger joint/box joint issue?

I had some help from a friend with assembling a finger joint for an important graded woodworking project. The fit was a little too snug/tight, and so he decided to use a rubber headed mallet to tap it in while we were assembling. Unfortunately, a crack developed that led to the extruding "pin" of the finger joint to fall off 2 days later. Thankfully, only 90% of that extruding "pin" cracked off and I am using PVA glue and to glue the bit that fell off back onto 10% of that joint with a vice and clamp in place too. Please tell me whether the broken finger joint piece will be strong enough to be used in the future, and any other potential issues or worries that I should be/should not be worried about.
Thank you so much, sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
I guess we would need to see a picture. Are the fingers large, or are there a bunch of small ones? What is it on?

I hate signatures.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying mate. Only one of the pin was cracked off, it's 1.8cm wide (just under 3/4") and 3cm (just under 1 1/4") high. The stock is 1.8cm thick (makes sense), and about 90% of the extruding pin fell off completely, leaving a small 10% of the original pin still intact with the piece. I used PVA glue specifically to glue it together plus some clamps and a vice. I've got no pictures tho, I left the work at the workshop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

[I guess we would need to see a picture. Are the fingers large, or are there a bunch of small ones? What is it on?]
Thanks for replying mate. Only one of the pin was cracked off, it's 1.8cm wide (just under 3/4") and 3cm (just under 1 1/4") high. The stock is 1.8cm thick (makes sense), and about 90% of the extruding pin fell off completely, leaving a small 10% of the original pin still intact with the piece. I used PVA glue specifically to glue it together plus some clamps and a vice. I've got no pictures tho, I left the work at the workshop.[/QUOTE]
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like the fingers/pins were cut in side grain rather then end grain. That, or the grain of the wood was squirrely enough to end up with grain running across rather than down the length of one or more fingers.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4DThinker For This Useful Post:
Woodworking Beginner (12-06-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode