Broken Finger joint/box joint issue? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
View Woodworking Beginner's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Broken Finger joint/box joint issue?

I had some help from a friend with assembling a finger joint for an important graded woodworking project. The fit was a little too snug/tight, and so he decided to use a rubber headed mallet to tap it in while we were assembling. Unfortunately, a crack developed that led to the extruding "pin" of the finger joint to fall off 2 days later. Thankfully, only 90% of that extruding "pin" cracked off and I am using PVA glue and to glue the bit that fell off back onto 10% of that joint with a vice and clamp in place too. Please tell me whether the broken finger joint piece will be strong enough to be used in the future, and any other potential issues or worries that I should be/should not be worried about.
Thank you so much, sorry for the long post.
Woodworking Beginner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 813
View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
I guess we would need to see a picture. Are the fingers large, or are there a bunch of small ones? What is it on?

I hate signatures.
Mort is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
View Woodworking Beginner's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for replying mate. Only one of the pin was cracked off, it's 1.8cm wide (just under 3/4") and 3cm (just under 1 1/4") high. The stock is 1.8cm thick (makes sense), and about 90% of the extruding pin fell off completely, leaving a small 10% of the original pin still intact with the piece. I used PVA glue specifically to glue it together plus some clamps and a vice. I've got no pictures tho, I left the work at the workshop.
Woodworking Beginner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
View Woodworking Beginner's Photo Album My Photos
[I guess we would need to see a picture. Are the fingers large, or are there a bunch of small ones? What is it on?]
Thanks for replying mate. Only one of the pin was cracked off, it's 1.8cm wide (just under 3/4") and 3cm (just under 1 1/4") high. The stock is 1.8cm thick (makes sense), and about 90% of the extruding pin fell off completely, leaving a small 10% of the original pin still intact with the piece. I used PVA glue specifically to glue it together plus some clamps and a vice. I've got no pictures tho, I left the work at the workshop.[/QUOTE]
Woodworking Beginner is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 994
View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like the fingers/pins were cut in side grain rather then end grain. That, or the grain of the wood was squirrely enough to end up with grain running across rather than down the length of one or more fingers.
4DThinker is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4DThinker For This Useful Post:
Woodworking Beginner (12-06-2015)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help Repairing Broken Chair Leg tuckerwood General Woodworking Discussion 2 10-13-2015 10:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome