Bridge City Jointmaker - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Bridge City Jointmaker

This thing looks cool, but pricey at $1435.. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost that much to build from scratch, but then again I always underestimate the cost of things till I get started making them..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Handy looking gizmo, though I bet you could improve on it by adding a motor, maybe with a circular blade you could adjust the height on a little easier.

Wait, I just described a table saw, didn't I? The thought occurs that this solves a problem that doesn't actually exist...

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Handy looking gizmo, though I bet you could improve on it by adding a motor, maybe with a circular blade you could adjust the height on a little easier.

Wait, I just described a table saw, didn't I? The thought occurs that this solves a problem that doesn't actually exist...
I dunno... it would have come in handy when I lived in a condo and had neighbors on the other side of the wall. And even when I had a table saw, I never liked working with small parts on it.

This feels to me like it makes repeatability easier than with hand tools, and small part work safer than with power tools. That's a pretty good niche to fill, although it's not worth anywhere near $1400 to me. If they were mass-producing them at $500 or under, I'd at least consider it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You can get a great bandsaw ...

For $1500.00 and much less, you can get a really nice bandsaw.
It will do way more than that "gizmo" and they are very quiet to operate. Resawing is the first thing that comes to mind as well as making tennons, which is my preferred method. Depth of cut is much greater as well.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Looks pretty handy if you're working without electricity. Back when my son and I were in business of cleaning out foreclosure properties they seldom had electric turned on and we occasionally had to cut stuff up. Although this gizmo would have been all but useless for that I can see a use for folks working in homes with no juice or where noise and dust might be a problem..
And there are quite a few people who just don't want to use powered machinery and there is the safety factor..I'm sure you could cut your thumb off with it, but you'd really have to give it more effort than with a table saw..
Hey, someone buy one, cut their thumb off and share the video with us under the heading, Injury pron.. "How I intentionally chopped off my thumb on purpose just to show you I could!"

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 08-04-2016 at 10:24 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
For $1500.00 and much less, you can get a really nice bandsaw.
It will do way more than that "gizmo" and they are very quiet to operate. Resawing is the first thing that comes to mind as well as making tennons, which is my preferred method. Depth of cut is much greater as well.
Yeah, a bandsaw would not have been an option in that condo. Way too loud, even though they're quiet by power tool standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
Looks pretty handy if you're working without electricity. Back when my son and I were in business of cleaning out foreclosure properties they seldom had electric turned on and we occasionally had to cut stuff up. Although this gizmo would have been all but useless for that I can see a use for folks working in homes with no juice or where noise and dust might be a problem..
And there are quite a few people who just don't want to use powered machinery and there is the safety factor..I'm sure you could cut your thumb off with it, but you'd really have to give it more effort than with a table saw..
Hey, someone buy one, cut their thumb off and share the video with us under the heading, Injury pron.. "How I intentionally chopped off my thumb on purpose just to show you I could!"
The no electricity point is good, too. Right now I have electrical lighting and one outlet in my shop. That's it. Anything that needs dust collection is pretty much impossible unless I rig a long extension cord.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 12:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What about blenders, coffee grinders, juicers ...?

The bandsaws I have are very quiet.... just the spinning wheels with the blade goin' 'round and 'round. I'm still an board with a bandsaw in a tiny, confined shop where noise should be kept at a minimum. Heck, Years ago as a teenager, I had a 10" Craftsman table saw in a 10 ft X 10 ft bedroom with a loft bed in a 2 story brownstone, land lady living underneath. I did help out around the place with repairs however.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2016, 07:33 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If I lived in an apartment and there was a woodworker next door I would be very happy if he had that instead of a table saw. :smile3:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
amckenzie4 (08-05-2016)
post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM

View craigwbryant's Photo Album My Photos
It's neat, but I have a hard time seeing anything about it that justifies a ~$1500 price tag. It's essentially a fancy mitre box on steroids, price needs to be more in the $400-500 range.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-05-2016, 09:53 AM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
$500.00 for the tool, $1000.00 for the "Bridge City" name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode