Box Joint Newby...Need Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Rob

View TinmanCarving's Photo Album My Photos
Box Joint Newby...Need Advice

Hello, I went out into the shop this morning with the mission to throw together a box joint fixture to see how it all works. I built a crude version to make thin joints using my 7-1/4" x 2mm wide skill saw blade on my table saw.

As you can see from the pictures it actually worked...kinda.

I don't like how my cheap blade does not cut a square bottom slot. I will have to source a purpose built blade I guess.

Also, I learned that if your spacing is off even a few thousands that the stack up on so many fingers will cause problems at assembly.

I think for now I am going to try to design another fixture that has a more stable means of offsetting.

You can also see I have problems getting the stock flush on the bottom. My saw cuts are all over the place. I was holding the stock by hand when I should have used a square and a clamp.

Please share any advice you have.

Rob
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you need an adjustable jig

The spacing is so critical, that a jig with a micro adjustment will work best:
http://www.table-saw-guide.com/box-joint-jig.html

A flat top tooth blade will give a better result than a standard construction blade. Maybe something like this:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-13-2015 at 07:26 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2015, 09:08 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
You have learned with your first attempt at making finger joints precision is key! Well made equipment (jigs, fixtures, blades, bits) as well as lots of practice are IMO the difference between OK and great fit. Consider making less fingers to start, and if you have a router, straight bits can make great fingers too. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Not bad for a first shot. Like others have mentioned, the fingers are a bit loose, but getting the spacing right is one of the most difficult things to do. I also agree with wood on the blade selection, a ripping blade will generally yield flatter bottoms than a crosscut blade, owing to the flat top. Personally, I use a combination blade with a flat raker tooth. Still get some bat-winging, but its much less that a crosscut blade, and I don't have to change blade for, well, anything

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2015, 11:56 AM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
This screw advance box joint jig I made a while ago will do a good job of cutting narrow fingers. It uses a .10" thin kerf Diablo rip blade coupled with a 10 tpi Acme screw thread. I just made this bench. I didn't need a bench. Just wanted a project to use the jig. Lumber ash I think was a cast off counter top from a neighbor who was remodeling. Now I need to find someone who needs a bench to give it to.
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 Old 11-07-2015, 10:29 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
Check out William Ng on YouTube. He has an excellent video instruction on making a fast and very accurate box joint jig. I just made one and it works perfectly. He talks about how to ensure the fingers are .006" narrower than the cuts for a perfect fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode