Box joint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

View amboy49's Photo Album My Photos
Box joint

I recently purchased a box joint jig from Rocklers and began my first project incorporating this joinery. I utilized a Rocklers 1/2" up spiral bit at my router table.

I have machined all four sides - however, the joints are VERY tight. So much so I believe any glue I'll try to use will be pushed out during assembly. Additionally, there will be absolutely no room for expansion due to weather variances.

First, can anyone offer a suggestion re: why the joint are so tight and (2) what is my best bet to open up the joints a little.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have access to a Rockler jig so I can say how much is too tight. It should be tight enough you have to tap it together with a hammer. If you can dry fit the joint together it should make a good joint. Wood glues are very thin so that shouldn't be an issue. Keep a bucket of water and a rag handy so what ever glue oozes out you can quickly clean it off.

If the joint is truly too tight you might get a different router bit and see if it makes a difference. On the parts you have already done you could glue some sandpaper on a strip of 1/4" plywood and more or less file the parts enlarging the cuts slightly.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't worry about expansion, both boards will move together. Not familiar with the Rockler jig so can't help you there.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM

View Arcola60's Photo Album My Photos
Check your setup block to the slot that is cut in your stock. If it is not the same size as your router bit, it will throw the spacing off. It will be too tight or too loose. You can cut a piece of stock that size and use it as a setup bar. That way it will ensure a good fit. Cut some test stock, and adjust the bar until you are happy with the fit. Every time you make an adjustment, start over with fresh stock. If you make an adjustment and rerun the cut piece through, it will only cut on one side. It will shift the stock to one side. Once you are setup it will be fun!

To save the project, you will have to lightly sand each tab. Tedious and could taper the tabs. I do not know the size of your project, but it can still work. It is better than the spacing being too loose. I hope this helps. Others may be able to shed more light for you as well. Good luck, post some pictures when you can.

Ellery Becnel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode